Setting Posts For A Covered Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Setting Posts for a Covered Deck

I have plans to build a new covered deck--14' W (attached to house) and 16' L. I have designed the plans to include either 4x6 or 6x6 posts every 4' around the perimeter with additional support beams under the floor joists (2x8).

As I am preparing to pour concrete tubes, a couple of questions come to mind...1) can I make an 8" tube work, or should I go with the 12" 2) Is it possible to put a piece of rebar into the concrete, then drill a hole in the bottom of the posts to slip over the rebar when the concrete is cured (those brackets at the lumber yard seem heavy duty, but the bolt doesn't amount to much and they are horribly expensive!)

Thanks for your help!
tbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,108

whether a 8" tube will work depends on the actual load it will support and the bearing capacity of your soil. sometimes a 12" tube is not enough. I commonly use 24" and 28" bell footings with a 10" tube due to the design loads and soil bearing capacity.

posts should not be in contact with concrete if you want them to last a longer time (even treated posts). the wood fibers will act almost like a drinking straw to "suck" water inside the post

the rebar sticking out the concrete may provide some lateral resistance but nothing for uplift which I would be concerned about where a roof is concerned

most important suggest, discuss all this with you building official to determine what you local building code requires.

just my thoughts, good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,232

It would be great if you could post the plans.
Trying to picture why anyone would want the piers every 4'. Without seeing the plans it sure sounds like your going to be using about twice as many as needed.
Just a rebar sticking out slipped into the post will be useless.
Stick with a real post base.
Advertisement