Seeking Adice On How To Repair A Mis-drilled Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Seeking adice on how to repair a mis-drilled door

I hired a local handyman to install two doors for me. He got the security hinges reversed on one. It's going to take 4 more holes to install the hinges correctly and by then the door will resemble swiss cheese.

What would you do to repair the holes? I'm thinking drive a plug buttered with wood glue or would it be better to pack the holes full of an epoxy or a jb weld type super putty/glue? Suggestions welcomed and thanks in advance.

reversed hinge
doublesharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would tell Mr. handyman to drive to store and buy me a new door or I would report him for contracting without a license(which I'm sure he doesn't have). Or, just drive some golf tees soaked in wood glue.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
I would tell Mr. handyman to drive to store and buy me a new door or I would report him for contracting without a license(which I'm sure he doesn't have). Or, just drive some golf tees soaked in wood glue.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

i would fill holes in door with wood putty. Then apply a couple coats of bondo. Sand (with orbital) and paint.

P.S. Print this in bold letters and give to "HandyMan"
JGibbsRemodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

haha, nevermind i misunderstood. golf tees is good idea
JGibbsRemodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would use something like epoxy, not wood filler. I have used products from this company for years dating back on when I had the bright idea I could restore sailboats. If you follow their restoration system, you end up with something stronger than the original wood to work with when it comes to drill new holes.

http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildinga...nproducts.html

You should be able to find decent epoxy fillers in a local hardware store too, or God forbid you shop in them, a box store.

Good luck. And I agree you should pursue the handyperson that screwed things up so badly.

Last edited by user1007; 12-23-2009 at 04:48 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Unless I am missing something, it looks like the hinge plate covered everything and the holes aren't close enough to cause an issue with the screws stripping. Looks like everyone is forming a lynch mob to hang a guy who corrected his mistake. I've even seen reversible doors made to hang left or right handed, that came with those same holes ALREADY drilled.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

I third the golf tees idea. I've seen it mentioned in a couple books and have used it once with success. Wood glue the golf tees in, let them set, and cut of the extra. Shouldn't have a issue re-drilling.
vseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseven View Post
I third the golf tees idea. I've seen it mentioned in a couple books and have used it once with success. Wood glue the golf tees in, let them set, and cut of the extra. Shouldn't have a issue re-drilling.
Unless you split the plug and shatter the glue with the new drill holes. At least use something other than wood glue if you are going to go for this golf tee and glue idea.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Unless I am missing something, it looks like the hinge plate covered everything and the holes aren't close enough to cause an issue with the screws stripping. Looks like everyone is forming a lynch mob to hang a guy who corrected his mistake. I've even seen reversible doors made to hang left or right handed, that came with those same holes ALREADY drilled.
It takes one more set of holes to correct the mistake, which would make 12 holes in the space of a hinge and, yes, the first 4 holes were from the original hinges and no fault of the installer. The man is honest and is here right now gluing dowel rod into the holes and reversing the hinges. It's going to end well. Thanks for the advice.
doublesharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement