Sealing A New Granite Counter Top .. (products?) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sealing a new granite countertop .. (products?)

My newly installed granite kitchen countertop seems to be porous because when the counter top gets wet, it will turn a darker color than the dry areas (as it sucks up the water). After the top dries, it goes back to it's original lighter color.

This is a problem around the sink area because it usually gets wet there.

Is there any kind of sealer that can be applied that will make the surface a bit more waterproof?

If this sealer makes the surface a bit more 'glossy' ... well, that's a plus too.

Thank's
Ron

BTW ... As far as the color of my countertops, they look alot like the one in the photo below ... except, mine don't seem to be as shiny as the countertop in the photo. Another reason I think mine are too porous (maybe not polished as much)

Last edited by Flt_Simulation; 07-30-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Flt_Simulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Well, I bought some from my local granite shop. Unfortunately, it is their own brand. It is call GCSM 3-in-1 stone care spray. It works really well--gives the countertops a real shine and the plus is that I can use it on my stainless steel appliances for cleaning as well. If you would like their phone number I could give it to you and maybe they could ship you some.
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,602

#1, sure you REALLY got granite c-tops ? ? ? if so, polishing's been left short of a final product,,, if any granite's polished, it doesn't need sealing - the polishing IS the sealing,,, that all being said, my bride selected c-tops made out of the most beautiful blue/green granite she ever saw having polished granite & carved cemetery monuments, didn't have the heart/nerve to tell her what i thought of the stone's quality,,, after all, c-tops can be replaced while my bride, nagzilla cannot
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooledUp View Post
Well, I bought some from my local granite shop. Unfortunately, it is their own brand. It is call GCSM 3-in-1 stone care spray. It works really well--gives the countertops a real shine and the plus is that I can use it on my stainless steel appliances for cleaning as well. If you would like their phone number I could give it to you and maybe they could ship you some.
Does it also cure, the common cold, put a shine on the roof?
I want me some of that!!!
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement