***sealing Brick*** - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

***sealing brick***

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and hoping to gain some ideas on this...

Among other things, I am in charge of building maintenance where I work... One side of the building (all brick) suffers from cracks and loose bricks.. I know the loose bricks will need to be repointed.. My main question is there some type of coating that can be applied (other than stucco) to improve general waterproofing and close up the ton of small cracks there are, the size is approx 35 high x 100 long. Im sure stucco would be the best bet, But we are trying to keep costs down if possible ??

Any ideas and or suggestions appreciated..

Thanks
Mark
ThisOldGarageNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

you can get sealers and waterproofing for brick at any mason supply store.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #3

thanks,,, But i would also like a reccomendation if anybody has one of somthing they used, I am interested in what they are calling an elastomoteric coating specifically... I will however stop by the mason supply and see if they have a reccomend..

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I've used Tremco Wall-Tite. It is elastomeric and will bridge cracks. I guess you realize that a coating will change the appearance of the wall. You also run the risk of trapping moisture behind the coating which could cause the surface of the brick to spall. Repairing the cracks and applying a penetrating moisture displacer like siloxane may be a better long term option.

http://www.tremcoroofing.com/filesha.../Wall-Tite.pdf
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

A sealant for bricks will repel water in the form of rain but still allow the brick to breathe, that is will allow vapour transfer from the inside out, for example on sunny days. This is important since most brickwork is just a veneer coating over the main frame of the building that repels water -especially so in colder climates.

Elastomeric coating are like thick paints that seal everything and are best described as "weatherproofing agents"...they'll stop all transport of everything and thus are used on roofs. Not so hot on bricks I don't think...

The cracks - if they're in the bricks themselves - indicate a big problem in the manufacture of the brick or in the mortar used. Repointing calls for a very specific mortar (not just any mortar) to prevent the undue expansion and therefore cracking of the joints and the bricks.

You might want a consult with a mason...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #6

Hi M6
I know the wall will change appearance,, Just trying to find a temporary solution to a long term problem... As usual corporate does not want to repoint and repair or stucco,($$$),, So im looking into alternatives that I know will probably not last but hopefully extend the situation....
Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post

The cracks - if they're in the bricks themselves -

You might want a consult with a mason...
Hi C,
I myself realize that this is surely beyond a bandaid situation, Now I need to show corporate that and why we are in a bad situation and have some real work done before bricks start falling out... I like to go into their meetings as informed as i can be,,

Thanks guys for all the answers
Mark
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Take a look here:

http://paragoninspects.com/pdf/exter...s-sealants.pdf
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I don't know that I'd call an elastomeric coating a temporary solution. Once it's put on, it isn't going to be easy to remove. It also isn't going to fix a wall that is failing.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement