Sagging Bow Window - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sagging bow window

We've got an old bow window that's sagging, and I've been trying to establish whether it was installed correctly. I would be grateful for informed opinions.

I had previously put photos and some explanation on a web page, so if it's okay I'd like to point people to twomicrowaves.com for more info. You'll have to enter the password "window".

Thanks,

Tom
hitchbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

I take it you owned this house when the window was installed and you state that you are trying to establish if the window was installed properly. What would be your course of action if you come to the conclusion that is was not installed correctly? This was installed over 15 years ago - "early 90s".
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
I take it you owned this house when the window was installed and you state that you are trying to establish if the window was installed properly.
At the time it was owned by a family member, now deceased. She was easily taken advantage of, and it angers me when people prey upon the weak.
Quote:
What would be your course of action if you come to the conclusion that is was not installed correctly? This was installed over 15 years ago - "early 90s".
If you mean what *legal* recourse I have, maybe none. Or maybe there's a legal distinction between simple construction error and deliberately horribly shoddy construction. Don't know. Haven't looked into it yet.

My hope was that the company, once contacted, would, concerned about their reputation, do the right thing and add some support, etc. And I'm hoping that the company who supplied them the window might aid in this, to avoid the impression that they'll let installers put their windows in without following instructions. If not, I can certainly give people who are shopping for windows another data point to consider: I'll just remove the password, and Google will find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Sounds like a 15 year old 'get even' thing going on here.

If you want to know how to fix the problem your self--post away.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Sounds like a 15 year old 'get even' thing going on here.

If you want to know how to fix the problem your self--post away.
Maybe it sounds that way to you, Mike, but if I were wanting to "get even" I'd get even, not go through all this effort. I posted here for exactly the reason I stated: so that someone with more experience than I could help me figure out whether the installation was done right. That doesn't seem off-topic to me.

Did you even look at the site? If so, did it seem like I was out for revenge?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 832

Why not just post a couple of questions and pictures here like everyone else?

What’s with the websites and passwords?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I haven't looked at the site
If the window is 15 years old it doesn't really matter what the fault was IMO
Plenty of people here to help
Most are not interested in going to some site & entering a password
...not knowing what might happen

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (08-11-2010), oh'mike (08-12-2010), Tom Struble (08-11-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,348

If the window is sagging, it needs to be corrected. The cause might have been a poor install or issues subsequent to the install. Either case is not important.
The window needs to be properly adjusted. Post a picture here and we'll guide you.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Superintendent

Yeah Dave is right, I don't go to sites I don't know something about and start entering passwords. But would be happy to take a look if you want to just post the pictures here.

As far as having any recourse, there is a legal term for something that was not done correctly and becomes a problem down the road, after warranties have expired, etc. It's called a "Latent Defect". Ask your lawyer about it.
Mudpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpad View Post
Yeah Dave is right, I don't go to sites I don't know something about and start entering passwords. But would be happy to take a look if you want to just post the pictures here.

As far as having any recourse, there is a legal term for something that was not done correctly and becomes a problem down the road, after warranties have expired, etc. It's called a "Latent Defect". Ask your lawyer about it.
How much are you going to spend(on legal fees) on an 15 year old install?
This is an absurd waste of time and money.
Focus on the repair.
Ron
Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #11
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
How much are you going to spend(on legal fees) on an 15 year old install?
This is an absurd waste of time and money.
Focus on the repair.
Ron
My point is that just because a warranty period has expired doesn't mean the installer is off the hook if he knowingly installed something incorrectly.

What's with calling other people"s well intentioned posts "absurd"
Mudpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Mudpad---I don''t think Rons blast was aimed at you!--That's not his way.

I took it as the posters position is absurd--more interested in placing blame on someone,than curing the problem--------Mikeswoods---Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpad View Post
My point is that just because a warranty period has expired doesn't mean the installer is off the hook if he knowingly installed something incorrectly.

What's with calling other people"s well intentioned posts "absurd"
Wasting money persuing this thing legally is absurd. With lawyers rate being $300.-450. who in their right mind would bother? The cost to remedy this does not justify spending hundreds, maybe a thousand or so to maybe get a judgement that may not even get paid. Many people get judgements in court and never see a dime.
Ron
Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,002

after 15 years you probably need a new window anyway
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Mudpad (08-12-2010)
Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Why not just post a couple of questions and pictures here like everyone else?

What’s with the websites and passwords?
Oh, Lord.

I thought I explained why the web page: it seemed like the best way to explain the situation--I was trying to make it as easy as possible on anyone reading. The password is so that I would avoid defaming the installation company if my suspicions were wrong. (I had no idea people would be so paranoid about going to a web site!) And as far as "getting even," well, that's just silly. To start with the other guy brought all that up, not me. At the time I hadn't though much beyond trying to figure out what the heck the installers had done. If you'll check, I had made a previous post, under the same name, at ********************, in which, if I recall, I didn't do anything beyond asking for ideas about how *I* might fix things. You'll notice that I stated here that I hadn't even *thought* about the legal situation. (Although *of* *course* I think that if the installers did a deliberately shoddy job they should fix it--don't you? And *of* *course* if they did a shoddy job I'll say something about it on yelp or similar, as an aid to other people, to help them. Wouldn't *you* want multiple opinions if shopping for contractors?) In the end, if the contractor did a deliberately shoddy job and won't do anything about it, I suppose I'll fix it myself, but I hadn't gotten that far to even seriously think about those options.

And I'm not going to pull the photos out of the web site and post them here, because they wouldn't make nearly as much sense in isolation. If people are too scared to click on a link, well, I just I'll just have to do without advice, and let you folks go on gabbing about irrelevant stuff like about how I'm looking for revenge. Sheesh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement