Running Camera Cables - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 278

Running camera cables

I need to install some video cameras to monitor the property. It has the typical BNC plug and the power to the camera in one cable. I was wondering if you need to drill through the siding, what kind of grommet or sealing mechanism do you recommend? The hole would be slightly bigger than the BNC video plug.

Thanks
DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Could you cut off the connector and re-terminate the connector? This will allow a slightly smaller hole. How visible will this be? Are you just looking for something like this? What about just clear silicone?
http://contractorservices.homedepot....f-ff1ac0642d29
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #3

I will run through the under eaves vents as much as possible. Cutting off the cable is a possibility but I will have to resolder the 4 wires up on a letter. After taping there will still be some bulk.,

I can't open the link you selected, maybe you are on the contractor only link? Can you save the picture?

BTW I have wood siding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYGST View Post
I will run through the under eaves vents as much as possible. Cutting off the cable is a possibility but I will have to resolder the 4 wires up on a letter. After taping there will still be some bulk.,

I can't open the link you selected, maybe you are on the contractor only link? Can you save the picture?

BTW I have wood siding.
Try this one. It's just a sealing putty. BNCs should be put on coax. Do the cameras call for four wire cable?
http://rainbowtech.zeekeeinteractive...ew.php?cn=4035
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #5

Need to supply Coax/RCA cable and 12VDC supply to each camera.

If I were to cut the cable I might as well buy a siamese cable which is RG6 and 18/2 wires in one and crimp my own.

Maybe I am overthinking of it, a dap of silicone caulk around the wire should work good enough. The 5/8" hole should work for the connector.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Need to supply Coax/RCA cable and 12VDC supply to each camera.

If I were to cut the cable I might as well buy a siamese cable which is RG6 and 18/2 wires in one and crimp my own.

Maybe I am overthinking of it, a dap of silicone caulk around the wire should work good enough. The 5/8" hole should work for the connector.
I think the silicone would be the best plan. Good luck. Are you using a DVR card or a stand alone system?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Have you already purchased the cameras and cables? I know there are newer cameras out there that run on CAT5 cable and can inject power at the network router so all you run is the network cable out the cameras. MUCH less expensive cabling and termination costs... I'll try and find some info on it if you are interested...
perpetualjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #8

I am will be using a hard-drive based DVR with network browsing capability. It comes with 4 cameras and 4x 60' cable. Pretty much standard home owner grade stuff.

The cat5 (IP based) cameras would be expensive on its own, you may save $ on the connectors but the electronics inside far outweight the cost. I know they have wireless ones too but you still have to run the power though.

I live in a corner lot and there are alot of activity so hopefully that will solve some problems.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #9

Quote:
I am will be using a hard-drive based DVR with network browsing capability. It comes with 4 cameras and 4x 60' cable. Pretty much standard home owner grade stuff.

The cat5 (IP based) cameras would be expensive on its own, you may save $ on the connectors but the electronics inside far outweight the cost. I know they have wireless ones too but you still have to run the power though.

I live in a corner lot and there are alot of activity so hopefully that will solve some problems.
Is this one of those Costco packages?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Is this one of those Costco packages?
Yes, it's the Lorex edge DVR, on sale this month for $499..
it won some award last month at the 2009 CES for innovation.

Great value, I have some doubt that the camera is really VGA resolution,
but the night vision is better than what I have seen, the camera has a relay to change to monochrome when dark and is much more sensitive than the regular color cameras with IR.

I have played around with it a bit, if you have any questions let me know.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #11

How long are the leads that come off of the camera? Is that the LH314 DVR in the kit?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #12

The camera has about 2 ft leads before you connect it up with the 60' extension. The DVR is L314 model with 320 GB HD installed.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #13

Quote:
The camera has about 2 ft leads before you connect it up with the 60' extension. The DVR is L314 model with 320 GB HD installed.
Nice. Let me know how it works out. I think they're on sale until the end of the month and I might pick one up.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Just purchases this system. Hooked it up and a couple of questions.

1. When recording event...does it appear in the list as it is recording or after it has finished?
2. When motion is enabled "Motion is written across the screen." Does that mean it is recording because when I enable it Motion is written immediately on screen and it appears to be recording.

3. I set schedule,,,yellow to record but it did not seem to come on...I went out to check and nothing was in event list any ideas?
hondanation09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement