Routing Multiple Bathroom Vents Through One Roof Penetration - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

routing multiple bathroom vents through one roof penetration

I had a local contractor tell me they can run multiple 4 inch bathroom vent lines through this one 14 inch vent by feeding them all up to it. On the one hand, it makes sense since there is no wye, on the other hand I guess a breeze could blow it back into another vent line.

the vent in question....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Active-Ve...1-BL/202321472

Thoughts? is it legit?
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 974

Re: routing multiple bathroom vents through one roof penetration

By reading the description of it, it appears it's designed for attic ventilation, not for connection to bathroom vents. Running them all into a single vent point sounds interesting but I don't believe it can comply with code requirements. You may want to check with your local AHJ before proceeding.
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 110

I have seen ads for a dual setup, 2 baths, 1 fan, 1 outlet.
Never more than 2.
Company uses Sony vent fans and is in Sarasota (Florida).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
ChuckTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,036

Why not vent your bath fan through the soffit or wall just below the soffit? Then you dont need to penetrate the roof membrane. also if your bathrooms are not close together this just seems like unnecessary cost. Roof penetrations are not that big of a deal if they are done correctly. However, i have worked on houses where they did not allow any penetration visible from the street. My gut feeling is that someone is trying to sell you on a system that is complicated(more things that can go wrong) probably not practical and most likely more expensive for you and more profitable for them.

I have not seen a bath fan vented through the roof in a very long time.

Quote:
Active Ventilation Products roof louver product line, the Pop Vent, is excellent for venting attic spaces on shingled sloped roofs.

You can get as fancy or as dumb as you want with it but in my location on new houses these are the only acceptable methods.

if you have a flat roof you may choose to go through the roof instead of the wall but you would use one of these and it will cost more.

Last edited by Mingledtrash; 08-23-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingledtrash View Post
Why not vent your bath fan through the soffit or wall just below the soffit?
I can look into venting through the wall, but most of what I have read on venting through a soffit recommends against it since there are concerns of the moisture.

http://thehtrc.com/2013/getting-deta...xhaust-venting

I have 3 bathrooms on top/next to each other and I'm trying to limit penetrations, so I was figuring 1 roof penetration was better than 3 if possible. I'd have a professional do it as I'm not comfortable doing it for the reasons you've alluded to.

if the 3 through 1 is legit I think it's my best option for the 3, the fourth one I may look into a wall vent to eliminate a roof penetration.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
I can look into venting through the wall, but most of what I have read on venting through a soffit recommends against it since there are concerns of the moisture.

http://thehtrc.com/2013/getting-deta...xhaust-venting

I have 3 bathrooms on top/next to each other and I'm trying to limit penetrations, so I was figuring 1 roof penetration was better than 3 if possible. I'd have a professional do it as I'm not comfortable doing it for the reasons you've alluded to.

if the 3 through 1 is legit I think it's my best option for the 3, the fourth one I may look into a wall vent to eliminate a roof penetration.
AHHH in my area no on uses soffit attic venting so i see the problem. soffit attic vent + fan fan vent = problem.

the only problem i saw with your plan was it appeared to me you were using an unsealed system where you just had an attic vent and ran the bath vents up near the opening or just stuff into it with no seal. as long as the vent system is self contained all the way to open air and not just ran into your attic near the vent and you have a proper louver on each pipe to prevent one fan blowing air into another bathroom your good to go.

this ^^^ would be acceptable going through your roof as long as the main pipe is sized properly and each duct has baffle to prevent back draft and you have the proper vent on top of the roof. you will still get condensate drip in your bath though.
http://inspectapedia.com/ventilation...ct_Lengths.php.

If your trying to do something similar to this ^ but with a vent above it, its not acceptable even if the pipes are stuffed up into the 14 in vent.

Finally i found what i was looking for^ the proper way to do this. ^

http://www.ventilation-system.com/ca...room-kitchens/
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement