Rim Joist To Sill Simpson Brackets? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

Rim joist to sill Simpson brackets?

Not called for but I can't see the harm of adding brackets to add additional strength at rim joist/sill connection. I'm in earthquake country. I did see an article about how sometimes what seems logical in earthquake retrofitting you can cause more harm...
PandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 01:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

Re: Rim joist to sill Simpson brackets?

I-joists in CA? Usually the shear sheathing panel breaks at the rim joist center, with 9' sheets installed vertically (no blocking at edges required then per seismic zone) vs, horizontal application. That is why the engineered floor layout usually calls for double joist rather than single rim- WITH the 2x 0R double ply added in the space for full nail penetration for sheathing wall lateral shear. Length of braced wall line is from (just past) threaded rod to threaded rod with the required hold-down; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st...0_6_sec002.htm

eg.---http://www.strongtie.com/search?v=hda%2Fhd%3Arelevance%3AproductType%3AHold ownZ

OR phd, hdu, hhdq, hda, hd-shearwall hold-down. What do the plans say?

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 01:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

Re: Rim joist to sill Simpson brackets?

http://www2.strongtie.com/software/i...ngwallselector

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement