Repurposing Cold Room - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48

Repurposing cold room

We have a 5' x 12' cold room in our soon to be finished basement I am wondering what my options are to repurpose the space as part of our Reno
1) Frame, insulate and drywall and use the space as a closet with perhaps a simple bifold door
2) frame, insulate and drywall and use as a cold room/pantry- frankly the room currently doesn't seem to be any colder than the rest of the basement

Is there anything about this space that I'm not considering for example can I just strap the concrete ceiling and attach drywall ?will there be additional moisture problems or is the area more susceptible to mold because it's encased in concrete with no ventilation?
kal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,644

Re: Repurposing cold room

If the area is to be closed off from the remainder of the basement I would recommend louvered bifold doors for better natural air flow.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 982

Re: Repurposing cold room

There seems to be a number of posts lately regarding 'cold rooms'. I suppose they are called that as a throw back to old farm dirt or stone lined 'cold cellars' when you could store vegetables over the winter. Now they are concrete but still unheated and separate from the rest of the living space. I would think if you want to use it as an addition to your living space, including a closet, you have to treat it like the rest of the living space in terms of moisture, insulation, airflow, etc. One problem is they often have a concrete roof that are often susceptible to leaking or seeping moisture.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement