Replacing Toilet Flange - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing toilet flange

The toilet has been removed and the original flange ring was all corroded. We bought a brass flange ring but don't know how to install it. Toilet was mounted on a marble slab. Videos I could find all show cast iron complete flanges. How do you get the exisiting "body" of the original flange out or can I just replace the ring part.
pekesfwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekesfwf View Post
The toilet has been removed and the original flange ring was all corroded. We bought a brass flange ring but don't know how to install it. Toilet was mounted on a marble slab. Videos I could find all show cast iron complete flanges. How do you get the exisiting "body" of the original flange out or can I just replace the ring part.
I'm not a plumber, but I had a similar situation when I changed my toilet. My house is 62 years old and the soil pipe is made from cast iron.
A 'lead' sleeve is run from the 'bell' of the soil pipe up through the floor. Then the brass ring is placed onto the sleeve, then the top edge of the sleeve is peened over the ring. This forms a flange, where the wax seal is placed then the toilet is placed on top of the seal.
Hopefully, a plumber will be better able to advise you, than I.
For me, I was able to pry the peened lead up, and lift the old ring off. Then I put on the new one and was able to peen the lead back into position.
If the lead should happen to crack, while doing this, its possible to repair it with solder, but is very tricky and its better to be done by someone that is experienced.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement