Replacing Rails On A Deck With A Roof. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 72

Replacing rails on a deck with a roof.

Iím about to do an overhaul on a deck. The deck seems like the old owner had it screened in. And the railing is spaced 3í from one another...

The goal is to get away from the screened in look and make a beautiful railing with it with traditional Balibusters...

It looks like they built that roof for the deck by building the new roof over the existing roof. They are using 2x6 (Iíll recheck in the morning) and itís spannning roughly 10 feet...

A. Iím going to have to knock some out to start building my new rail. Whatís the max safe span I should keep in order to keep the entire roof from collapsing?

B. Instead of having a post every 3 feet that runs to the ceiling. Whatís the max span I can have before I need another post? Prob going to use 4x4

This is what we built for the back yard. Going for this look except the post will run up to the ceiling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NGLogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,388

Re: Replacing rails on a deck with a roof.

You are changing it from wall to post and beam, The posts will be 6x6 and the beam length and size depends on loads.
Like you last picture, your fence post are above a pier down to the ground.
Your new roof posts will also need support right to the ground, If you have that now the distance apart will dictate the size of the beam.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,388

Re: Replacing rails on a deck with a roof.

Your posts may not be out at the edge of the deck.
Attached Images

Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement