Replacing Garage 2x4 Ceiling Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing garage 2x4 ceiling joists

Want to install a lift in my garage for my classic car. Need to remove 3 2x4 ceiling joists. Is there another support system i can use to replace those 2x4s
PAY22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

I think I know where you are heading: I recently did this to a friends shop and will be doing this to mine this winter for the same reason. Something of a "trayed" ceiling. First: By stating that you have 2x4 "ceiling joist", I'm betting that you have manufactured trusses. Same as mine and my friend has. NO-you cannot just cut those out. These trusses are engineered with each piece of wood being in either "compression" or "tension" so that all forces of the roof load and any ceiling material are properly suspended. Fortunately we were able to go back to the truss builder for each of ours and have them put this into their computer as to what we could remove, and what we needed to add. By placing proper support under the trusses before we made any cuts we were able to remove the suggested pieces, then add the suggested pieces per the blueprint. We used metal plates to tie everything together with the proper nails and all is well now in his shop. He can raise his 'Vette the full height of his lift within the old 10 ft. ceiling shop now. Darn nice set-up also. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

As you said 3 to move, are these 4' apart to give you 12' clear space? If so they would be rafter ties which you may be able to move a limited distance. A picture would help.........

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement