Removing Inwall A/c - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

removing inwall a/c

My friend has a house that was updated with central air, the old owner left the old almost window style air conditioner's in the walls 4 total I think. I know this will depend on the quality of work done on the install but, would you guys even consider just framing the area in then sheet rocking? or would you take the studs out and replace them.

its a 2 story house and these are all on the top floor if that matters.

on a side note what does one do if they need more aluminum siding to replace the newly removed a/c?

thanx in advance everyone!
Turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,160

1. Figure out how to replace the AL siding without making it appear like an ugly rectangular patch on the outside of the house. ........................................
  2. Turn off the power and remove the first a/c unit from the least visible side of the house. .......................................
  3. Terminate the unused power wiring in an accessible box with a removable cover. Better yet completely remove the wiring back to the source so you don't have a visible box cover at the a/c location. ............................
  4. Weave in the new siding over the a/c location. .................................................. .................................
  5. Sheet rock over the interior opening. No need to remove any a/c framing as long as it does not interfere with a smooth sheet rock patch. .................................................. .......................... ...........................
  6. Verify the appearance of the new siding. If Ok, do the other two a/c units..

Last edited by PaliBob; 08-09-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #3

thanx! the hardest part is going to be the siding lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 586

Personally I'd leave them in. I'm guessing they cover different rooms/areas? You could run them indepedantly if say, one room is hot but it's not worth running the central air. We have central air but I kind of wish I had an AC unit in my room as it gets hotter then the rest of the house so I could run it for a few hours without running the central air which costs more to run.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Personally I'd leave them in. I'm guessing they cover different rooms/areas? You could run them indepedantly if say, one room is hot but it's not worth running the central air. We have central air but I kind of wish I had an AC unit in my room as it gets hotter then the rest of the house so I could run it for a few hours without running the central air which costs more to run.

they aren't sealed very well I can see daylight, they almost never use the central air as it is.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 586

Oh yeah sounds like a bad setup then, may be best to remove them or replace but if you hardly use the central AC then no point in putting in a new or fixing that one.

I'm just saying because finding siding to match will probably be hard, but not impossible.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #7

should I be looking for new or used? where to start to look?

thanx
Brian B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement