Removing Interior Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Removing interior wall

I'm new to this forum. Thanks in advance for any help or insight. We are starting a remodel to open up our floor plan. The wall is bearing the weight of the ceiling joists. We expected to have to install an lvl beam, but the engineer is speccing us to convert the roof framing to a truss. Has anyone seen or this done before using 1x4s or 1x6s at 60 degrees to convert rafters to a truss type? See Attached drawings.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing interior wall-img_3841_1504744777824.jpg   Removing interior wall-img_3837_1504744796563.jpg  
veeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 11,924

Re: Removing interior wall

They hand built trusses long before we had the factory ones we are used to now.
I am surprised you have a guy that would put that to paper and sign it but I have no doubt it will work
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Your engineer has come up with a clever approach to removing the wall without need for a beam. Presumably your engineer performed the necessary computations to demonstrate that the trusses will support the roof load, and the walls will support the trusses. Personally I have not seen this approach done, but as Nealtw pointed out, field fabrication of trusses has been done for centuries.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

My architect said his engineer who specced this approach, also performed a similar method in his own home. He recommended to use 1x6 and screw them to the rafters and joists. I forgot to ask what size screws and if nails were ok.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeps View Post
My architect said his engineer who specced this approach, also performed a similar method in his own home. He recommended to use 1x6 and screw them to the rafters and joists. I forgot to ask what size screws and if nails were ok.
No that is scary. There is no question if the guy is an engineer. he will not be using 1x anything and will likely not want screws actually they go over every connection the the placement and number of nails.
So you want a stamped set of engineered plans and the engineer will be inspecting the work when done.
Sounds a little hokey.
That Guy likes this.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #6

I should add the architect is family and he wouldn't steer us wrong. I just have a few more questions to ask him and his structural engineer before I proceed.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
I should add the architect is family and he wouldn't steer us wrong. I just have a few more questions to ask him and his structural engineer before I proceed.
Family just make it better. you want nothing less than a plan with an engineers name and stamp and the plan will have your address on it. Your roof structure is to important to mess with less. That plan will answer every question you have. We might help you read it for the meanings but 1x4 and screws will not likely be there.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Your engineer has come up with a clever approach to removing the wall without need for a beam. Presumably your engineer performed the necessary computations to demonstrate that the trusses will support the roof load, and the walls will support the trusses. Personally I have not seen this approach done, but as Nealtw pointed out, field fabrication of trusses has been done for centuries.
Just wanted you to come back and read some more of this and see if you think I am wrong with my fear here.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,746

Its interesting.... My dad and grandfather did something similar in our old house - built in 1912 balloon construction...

the plan was to make the front 2 bedrooms, into one big master bedroom.

They used 2x12's in the attic, where the walls used to be, the width of the room, with 2x4 blocking.

Not sure of the exact math involved, but it worked. and no wierd attachments to the 2x4 roof rafters (24" oc)

The thing is, it was a plaster ceiling and it always cracked with in months, directly under those two beams... Dad finally sprayed thick popcorn and called it fixed LOL

Its lasted 50 years...

Just a thought...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #10

After going back and forth with a few different drawings, etc, we have decided to install an lvl. He said it would cost us many hours of his time to have him stamp the specs, and sign off on the work. With him specing an lvl, we will only end up paying him a few hours of time. Now to get the permits once I have the updated drawings and specs.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:10 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,066

Quote:
I should add the architect is family and he wouldn't steer us wrong.
...at least not intentionally but sometimes mistakes and bad advice happen with the best intentions and that's why we have building codes and inspectors. Like everyone else has already said, the engineer's stamped plans are key.
Good to hear that you're getting a properly engineered LVL beam, but I was kinda curious to see how the truss conversion was going to go!
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyeruncleBob View Post
...at least not intentionally but sometimes mistakes and bad advice happen with the best intentions and that's why we have building codes and inspectors. Like everyone else has already said, the engineer's stamped plans are key.

Good to hear that you're getting a properly engineered LVL beam, but I was kinda curious to see how the truss conversion was going to go!

I was hoping the engineering cost wouldn’t have been too much to do the truss conversion. It would add up quick at $130/hr though.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:58 PM   #13
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,148

Quote:
I was hoping the engineering cost wouldn’t have been too much to do the truss conversion. It would add up quick at $130/hr though.
It would probably be cheaper than doing the LVL's, all in.
Pay more for engineering and less for materials and labor.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #14

I’ll be installing the lvl myself. I should get the updated plans today. They are calling for a 3-1/2”x14” lvl. We have 2 options per the engineer.
1) install the lvl from underneath.
Cut the joists and fasten them to lvl and have he lvl about 6”.
2) install the lvl above the joists creating a blind header.
There would be notched sheathing around the lvl at each joist to prevent the lvl from rolling. This option is what I would prefer but I would have to cut a hole in the gable end of the attic to get the beam in. Has anyone on this forum done this? What’s the best method to lift the lvl up there? Lift it up with a Crane and then pull it into the attic with a winch?
Old 10-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
retired framer

That will be 2 LVLs at 1 3/4 thick so they are half the weight.
If you have vinyl siding on the gable, not so bad to open it up and cut a hole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement