Remove Bearing Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Yamvmax
  • 1 Post By carpdad

Old 02-06-2018, 04:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

remove bearing wall

Removing 11 feet of a bearing wall on a slab foundation. Above is 2x8 spanning 16 feet from one end of the outside wall of house. On other side of bearing wall are ceiling joists running same direction of bearing wall 12 feet that sit on other outside wall, then are attached to a double 2x8 header that also sits on the bearing wall I am removing. I am NOT removing that part that holds up the 2x8 header. So in reality only part of wall I am removing holds up the one side of ceiling joists. I want install an LVL in place of the wall. Its 11'. Instead of building temp wall, can I "hang the ceiling joists temporarily from the 2x10 rafters above? I would use 2x4 nailed to each one. This would be just until I place the LVL, and attach the ceiling joists to that.
Yamvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: remove bearing wall

What do you have against building a temp wall? I wouldn't take the chance.
Nealtw likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
What do you have against building a temp wall? I wouldn't take the chance.
Your right, was just trying to avoid damaging the sheetrock where temp wall would go up. Kind of dumb. I will just build the temp wall, and be safe. What I am wondering though is if I can just hang the one end of the lvl onto the 2x8 header that carries the load of the ceiling joists running perpendicular to the other ceiling joists? Ceiling joists are just carrying load of ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamvmax View Post
Your right, was just trying to avoid damaging the sheetrock where temp wall would go up. Kind of dumb. I will just build the temp wall, and be safe. What I am wondering though is if I can just hang the one end of the lvl onto the 2x8 header that carries the load of the ceiling joists running perpendicular to the other ceiling joists? Ceiling joists are just carrying load of ceiling.
You are asking questions that require math. Live and dead loads, spans and point loads as well as footing questions. The best you get is guessing here, some lumberyards will help you figure out what you need but really if you drawer up for a permit, they may tell what needs to be increased or send you to an engineer.
mae-ling likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Project done! Lvl sitting on top of double 2x4's on each end.
Attached Thumbnails
remove bearing wall-20180219_125457.jpg   remove bearing wall-20180219_193440.jpg  
Nealtw likes this.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 558

This is late but are there footers under the header posts? Or a beam rated for new load points?
Nealtw likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement