Regular Tape For Backerboard? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 288

regular tape for backerboard?

I saw a product advertised for taping seams in concrete backerboard - alkali resistant. I haven't seen this sold anywhere around here.

Is this overkill? Can I use just a regular fiberglass tape to mud the seams in the backerboard?

thanks
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

If you have a problem, do you want the warranty to stand up for the backerboard? It's not that expensive
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #3

I haven't seen it in any box stores or building supply stores around here - otherwise I would just grab a roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #4

Oh, sorry! Is there a home depot or lowes near you? Or any trowel trades store?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
Oh, sorry! Is there a home depot or lowes near you? Or any trowel trades store?
no worries - appreciate the feedback. We have a HD here but that's one of the places I couldn't find anything other than the standard f/g mesh tapes. also did a quick look thru a couple of the lumber yards where I usually get stuff. I haven't done an exhaustive search but I assumed anyone who sells drywall or backerboard would also carry the necessary parts.

I might call one of the tile stores and see if they can help out - they must buy this stuff from somewhere.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

Home Depot should have it.

I noticed that it doesn't mention alkali, either do the screws even tho they are specifically for cement board.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaBar View Post
Home Depot should have it.

I noticed that it doesn't mention alkali, either do the screws even tho they are specifically for cement board.
What's an electrician doing answering this? Just kidding! I've bought it from HD. I also buy the screws that are manufactured by the backer board company.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #8

I found the durock screws at another store (also could not locate these at the HD here - silly me actually looking in the shelves where they sell screws). Turns out they do carry a "kit" for cement board - nowhere near the cement board or the screws - 100 screws and a roll of mesh tape packaged together - something like $20. I have to assume the tape is made for this application and not just a standard roll 'cause I can't see any difference looking at it. Feeling kinda srewed since I have to spend $20 to get 20 or 30 ' of mesh tape (enough to do my job). Guess the extra unnecessary "screws" in the package are kinda symbolic...
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
I found the durock screws at another store (also could not locate these at the HD here - silly me actually looking in the shelves where they sell screws). Turns out they do carry a "kit" for cement board - nowhere near the cement board or the screws - 100 screws and a roll of mesh tape packaged together - something like $20. I have to assume the tape is made for this application and not just a standard roll 'cause I can't see any difference looking at it. Feeling kinda srewed since I have to spend $20 to get 20 or 30 ' of mesh tape (enough to do my job). Guess the extra unnecessary "screws" in the package are kinda symbolic...

Hey rtoni my name is George and i work for a Chicago are Home Depot.

HD does carry a cement board tape and something that is called a RockOn screws.
Tape and screws should be located in our drywall aisle ...
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #10

Hey George - thanks for the reply. I've been up and down the isles - I will likely be back in there again this week (unrelated items) so I can sanity check but so far all I see are the durock "kits" that I mentioned (btw - this HD is in Canada - not sure if that makes a huge difference in what types of product are stocked in that area...?)

thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #11

just an update fwiw - tried HD (again) plus TimBrMart and 2 other local lumber yards - nobody had this tape / product. Last stop was a Rona / Cashway on the far side of town - they had it in stock and on the shelf. The guy there knew exactly what I was talking about.

Interesting that they all carry the same backerboard brand but only 1 knew anything about the alkali resistant tape (made by the same manufacturer).
Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,470

rtoni,
I got the tape in the home despot aisle where the thinset mixes and other floor/wall tile tools and mixes were located. I bought a huge roll for a 3 x 5 powder room floor (about 2' of it used!) but didn't want to risk the floor failing. It hasn't and I haven't looked back.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement