Refinishing Garage Floor To Install Auto Lift - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

refinishing garage floor to install auto lift

i am replacing the floor in my garage and am planing on instaling a 2 post a-symetrical car hoist and am not quite shure how much fill i need or how thick to make my concrete or if i need reinforcing mesh its aprox 13' x 22'
yos582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,610

your floor needs to be standard thickness of any floor that's expected to support static loads,,, since there's wheelpaths for rolling loads ( dynamic loading ), i'd place 5" floor w/#5 ( 5/8" ) on chairs on a 2' grid pattern,,, your posts, however, need to be on isolated foundations,,, how big & what's needed for reinforcement i'll leave to dan who will possibly be checked for accuracy by jomama the other way to determine the rqmts is to do what our wives do - read the friggin' directions FIRST

Last edited by stadry; 10-19-2010 at 05:04 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 884

A fairly common specification, for a 10,000 lb. capacity lift in this configuration, is for the concrete to be a 3,000 psi mix, 5" thick, but these vary, so since you have a specific purpose in mind, decide which lift you will purchase, and obtain the manufacturers specifications. Also, watch the pitch of your floor; a typical pitch of about 1/8" per foot will work for most applications, but anything more than that can present problems. You will want the concrete level side to side, and while the columns can be shimmed to some extent, excessive pitch front to rear can make it difficult to get the arms under lower vehicles.

Also, be sure to let your floor cure 28 days before installing your lift. These lifts use an expansion bolt, and if installed before the floor is cured for this period, very often loosen up within a short period of time.

Last edited by DexterII; 10-19-2010 at 07:50 AM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 558

For anything that is going to support a load I would consult a registered engineer in that field for the design and building requirements so that you wont have any issues down the road.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

thanks guys that was gona b my next step check the instructions
yos582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement