Recessed Mirror Install - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 358

Recessed Mirror Install

We have a VERY small guest bathroom and I bought a medicine cabinet to use as a mirror over the sink, which can be installed recessed or directly over the sheetrock. The wife REALLY wants the mirror recessed so I popped a couple holes in the drywall to see what is behind it.

Here is the wall in question, I drew pencil lines on the wall where I would be required to cut.

Now here is a little sketch of what I found inside the wall, hopefully it makes sense. Note this would be a view looking down from the top of wall.
(sorry about spelling errors I closed out of the drafting program after making the image)

Now my question is though anything is do-able how much of a PITA will this be?? I guess I am most worried about messing up the shower on the other side of the wall. And as for the plumbing vent is that something I could just cut out and route around the mirror since there is plenty of room on the right side of the current pipe?

Thoughts or ideas?
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

I would go to plan B and flush mount it.
You do not want to be altering that L shaped framing on the left side.
Bondo (03-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,790

Ayuh,.... Tell the wife, it ain't gonna happen, due to the structure found,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 358

Just thinking of options here, I am not sure how it would look on the mirror, but what if I recessed it into the wall and just cut the front 2" out of the studs? That would leave the full stud that is turned sideways on the back of the wall. And I could leave the other studs in place and just notch 2" out of them. I would still have to mess around with the vent pipe though...
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzdel View Post
Just thinking of options here, I am not sure how it would look on the mirror, but what if I recessed it into the wall and just cut the front 2" out of the studs? That would leave the full stud that is turned sideways on the back of the wall. And I could leave the other studs in place and just notch 2" out of them. I would still have to mess around with the vent pipe though...
I did something simlar to this and then trimmed the medicine cabinet out with 1/2" quarter round around the sides.

I'm with the wife, medicine cabinets look ridiculous when not recessed.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

Plastic pipe is doable, steel/lead (older houses); not so much.... If room for them, use light sconces at sides of mirror as overheads (above the mirror) make one look "ghoulish" - or maybe it's just me... lol. Any tile around the tub......

Gary
Old 03-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 260

I would put a mirror only with top and bottom clips and hang a cabinet or free standing shelf for storage over a toilet. That is way too much alteration for a small cabinet in a guest bath. For the pipe, you will have to cut back much more for work. This will mean repainting the bathroom, minimum. To avoid damaging the tub tile/grout, the studs will have to notched with a drill (angle drill), hand saw, and clean by shaving off with a chisel. Sawsall and pounding on a chisel can damage the tile/grout.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 7,317

I love to encourage DIY projects but sometimes I have to rain on the the parade.

The risk reward ratio is way out of kilter on this one. It's just not worth the work involved. I fully agree with Bondo and Joecaption.

This is a guest bath. They don't need storage. Use a flat mirror slab or buy a pretty framed one. A 2 Bulb light no more than 18" and smaller preferred would also make the space look larger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement