Rebuilding An Addition - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rebuilding an Addition

I live in PA and recently tore down a 10'x10' one story bathroom/laundry room from the rear of my house due to rotten wood and carpenter ant damage.

The foundation turned out to be one course of cement blocks on three walls. The entire room was also surrounded by a poured concrete patio and the bottom wall plates were in line with the concrete.

You can see why I had water issues. I'm rebuilding with the same foot print and laying a block foundation with a closed crawlspace and a dehumidifier to control moisture. I will be extending the roof line of this room across the entire span of the rear wall to cover an exterior door on the west side of the addition and a cellar door on the east side.

I will be tearing out the patio on the west end of the house because it was poured directly against the original wood siding, no vapor barrier or anything. My big issue is how to keep this floor in line with the main house floor because my floor joists will end up below grade in order to do so. I thought about running 10" block up to where the joists would start, then stepping back to a 6" block for two courses, then building my 2x6 walls on top of the 6" block.

The problem with this is that my 2x10 joists will not be even with the bottom of the wall, exposing a portion of uninsulated block which would also need a vapor barrier in order to drywall. I also have to deal with the cellar door which is 4" below the finished floor level of the main house.

I have attached a photo to help show what I currently have. Please ignore the temporary wood stoop I threw together to make use of the door. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I missed anything, I will be happy to provide any other info.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuilding an Addition-image.jpg  

Last edited by oh'mike; 07-01-2014 at 03:00 AM. Reason: added spaces
Jse5019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

The only way I can see that new room being rot free is to dig footings and a stem wall then casting a slab----

the grade is to high---your house may suffer the same fate as the old addition--there should be 6" foundation showing above the grade---concrete should never have been cast against the framed part of the structure.
Advertisement