Raising Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

raising roof

We have a 1988 double wide. and were wanting to raise the whole roof so we can have 9ft ceilings. The side walls are about 71/2 ft. tall. and the middle is 9ft. We have 2x6 walls. Is it possible to add on the top outside walls to do this. Were wanting to put a tin roof on. And of course we know we will have to redo electric, and raise the inside walls. Will be a job, but think it will be cheaper then building and besides we like our lot. Thanks for your help. Stephanie
sholman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

I would be possible, but won't be cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,492

Quote:
We have a 1988 double wide.
Ayuh,... It would probably be Cheap to truck in a new house....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 404

Roof trusses can be designed to that.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Roof trusses can be designed to that.
would that be better than framing up a short wall section and tossing standard trusses on top of that?

the one thing that would concern me on this is a double wide mobile home is not supported by the perimeter wall like a house is so anytime you add more weight to the outer wall, that weight is actually supported by a point several feet inside the perimeter (the steel framing). Adding that weight will use that steel frame as a fulcrum and reduce the weight on the supports closer to the center of the home. I don't know if it would cause a problem but I would suggest is be looked into before you toss the extra weight up on the top.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

Only your Building Inspector will know for sure........ Get a permit for this structural change.

Be safe, Gary
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
would that be better than framing up a short wall section and tossing standard trusses on top of that?
It would in my mind because the wall extension would be tied to the trusses. To add a short wall would require tieing the new short stud into the lower wall by removing the top plate etc. Otherwise how do you keep the short wall from tipping over.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
It would in my mind because the wall extension would be tied to the trusses. To add a short wall would require tieing the new short stud into the lower wall by removing the top plate etc. Otherwise how do you keep the short wall from tipping over.
by extending the perpendicular walls in the building and tying to them as well as the addition of a top plate around the entire perimeter.

but why remove the top plate? just build a section on top of the old wall. I think you would need to sheath at least the exterior with OSB/plywood to stabilize it though. Could be an expensive method and in reality, I believe the trusses would allow for a stronger build

So, have you seen any trusses built in the manner you are suggesting? I know some places that design custom trusses. Not sure if there is any stock style/pre-engineered trusses or if a person would have to avail themselves of a custom truss designer.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement