Raising Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Raising ceiling

I have an unfinished room over my garage that's framed for a flat 8' ceiling. It's all site-built rafters. I'd like to relocate the rafter ties up say 3' and create a vaulted ceiling, but I'm wondering if that can be done and still keep the integrity of the roof intact. See some pictures below:

Back of room:

Front of room:

View of roof/ceiling framing:

My plan would be to remove each rafter tie one at a time and relocate up 3', cutting them to the pitch of the roof and nailing between the existing rafters. I'd then fill in the existing rim joist area that will have a void where the ties used to be with another 2x8. Don't worry about the electrical and plumbing in the picture, I'll relocate that. Would this work? How high could I raise the ceiling before it wouldn't be enough bracing between the rafters? My main concern is that after I remove the ties I'll basically have a second "wall" sitting on top of the actual wall, I'm not sure if that'll pose a problem.

Thanks

Last edited by Todd1561; 01-28-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Todd1561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,240

Main question is why?
Whole lot of work and 0 gain.
More area to heat and cool, more sheet rock seams, ECT.
What's the deal with the foil backed insulation on the rafters?
Soffit vents, ridge vents, insulation in the ceiling would be the norm.
Adding your location to your profile would get better answers.
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Check out this website for their opinion as to how high you can raise the rafter tie.
http://www.nachi.org/collar-rafter-ties.htm

I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS OPINION, simply presenting it to you as generally accepted framing practice. Personally I do not recommend your project for same reasons as Joecaption.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I realize this would be a bit of work and is purely for aesthetics. We'd like the more spacious and visually interesting look of a vaulted ceiling. The foil you see is a manufactured part of the sheething used for the roof, not sure why or if it was required. Thanks for the link, I'll take some measurements to see how much I can move up the ceiling joists. The one thing that wasn't addressed is my main concern; is it a problem that the back wall will effectively be two stud walls stacked on top of eachother? Right now it goes stud wall > ceiling joists > 1' stud wall > rafters. In my proposed plan it'll go stud wall > 1' stud wall > rafters > ceiling joists. Just not sure what effect, if any, having those 2 wall sections stacked will have. Obviously, having one continuous wall all the way to the top plate would be ideal.

Oh I'm located in Raleigh, NC

Thanks
Old 01-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

Another concern is how exactly I calculate the "lower third" of the roof since it's not symmetrical. Here's a profile shot of the space over the garage. The red line is roughly where the current ceiling joists are located. As you can see the front part of the roof is considerably longer than the back, so I'm not sure what effect that would have on the calculation.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #6

Hi Todd,

I am a framer by trade. From what I can tell what you're planning on doing shouldn't be a very difficult task. It will be time consuming, first thing I'll recommend whichever way you choose to go about it I would get it checked out and approved by an engineer.

What I would do is plain up the wall to the underside of the truss and make a mark on each ends of the wall and snap a chaulk like. Take a measurement from the top of wall to the under side of truss and also from top of wall to under side of sheathing. You'll need to cut your sticks to the angle of the roof and put on under the truss and one of each side sistering them together nailing both into your support and the truss. Your sistering pieces can be cut a bit short bu make sure you supports at tight. An engineer may want some Simpson ties either A23's or hurricane strips on each one. You'll still need to do the bottom chord like you mentioned in a previous post.

To find your vault should be fairly easy if you want a true vault. Find the center of your garage and laser up to the underside of truss snap a line the rest is up to you on pitch.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtiscripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

Scratch what I said earlier. I somehow missed the pictures in your first post. Seems to me that this project may cause you some issues. First your wiring if there isn't enough slack to go up 3' then you're screwed. You might however be able to sneak them into your vault though.

Id likely fill in that 2x8 void like you mentioned and add some long lag bolts to try and get rid of any hinge points. Also I would recommend not going any higher than your current exterior wall.

If you were a potenti customer of mine I would suggest doing a coffered ceiling around your garage and have the center either vaulted or hipped and come to a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtiscripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

Thanks for the additional response, I was a little confused by what you were suggesting before. My plan for the wiring would be to cut the lines in the middle and install 2 junction boxes in the attic portion of the room and extend the wires between the boxes. This would be code compliant so long as the boxes are accessible, which they would be from the attic.

Your comment on the hinge points was one of my main concerns, thanks for addressing that. Why do you not recommend going above the exterior wall? If that's the case I probably wouldn't bother with this project, too much work for just a 1' gain and still a flat ceiling.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #9

Just to be extra clear the picture below shows ultimately what I'd like to do:

Just move the ceiling joists up a few feet, still keeping them level. Right now they're at the red line and I'd move them to the green line. I think I might have made matters confusing when I said vaulted ceiling when this isn't truly a vaulted ceiling.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #10

Oh and to the guy who asked about the foil on the roof sheathing, it's a radiant barrier to reduce energy bills. You can read more about it here: http://homebuilding.thefuntimesguide...-sheathing.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement