Raised Planter Against Vinyl Siding - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer
  • 1 Post By carpdad

Old 05-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Raised planter against vinyl siding

My wife and I are going to be doing some landscaping and she wants to do a raised flower bed against our house. With how the finished grade is at our house, we only have about 2 inches between grade and the bottom of our siding. We would like to do about six inches up, which would cover the bottom row of our siding. I know its not ideal to have mulch against the sill plate, but is there a way to make it work? My thought was to pull the bottom couple pieces of siding, and run a rubber roofing membrane about 12 inches up to keep water from penetrating my Tyvek and rotting my foundation. Anyone have a better suggestion? (other than not doing it at all) Thanks in advance
rmihalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 302

Re: Raised planter against vinyl siding

Yes call your termite bonding company and see what they say ?
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 536

Re: Raised planter against vinyl siding

You already don't have enough space. It's not just the rain splashing back, keeping the area that much wetter. Enough moisture in the air with condensation can be bad as well. Your idea of flashing the area will not do it because vapor will travel beyound the flashing.

Build or buy a box instead. I would look for plastic or concrete. Wood will not last in material or the looks. DIY with synthetic decking boards. Walls only and no bottoms - best drainage. If buying with bottom, drill more holes and protect with gravel and dirt filters. Place it at least 4-5" away from the wall and once set, remove some of the dirt in the space and refill with gravel. You can maintain the weed in the space with chemicals.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement