Rain - New Concrete - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rain - New Concrete

A month ago were having concrete poured and it rained on a load.

The problem is that it is now a different color.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Last edited by kywildcat; 11-15-2009 at 07:57 PM.
kywildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

It sounds like a poor job of protecting and treating the concrete while it cured. If you had not been planning on the staining and architectural effect, it might have been adequate for a normal driveway or slab. Concrete reacts to the conditions as it cures over time. Once you get into architectural effects, it requires experience to maintain the expected appearance.

Did the contractor that did the work have experience and references? Was it was done with different people (pouring, finishing, stamping, curing and staining)? All too often, people place a high expectation on the appearance of anything relating to design or architectural appearance and do not get the right people to do everything and accept the responsibility according to mutally agreed expectations. Getting several people involved really complicates the responsibility. Even Architects have learned long ago to get 2 sample panels to provide an allowable range or pre-qualify contractors.

Without knowing the details, it seems like you had a poor or unqualified contractor for you expectations or others got in the middle of the proven process.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,498

Concrete cures better when kept wet for two weeks after being poured. Of course, prior to hardening, the surface has to be protected from the force of rain drops that would cause erosion.

I am guessing that the composition (proportions and kind of sand and gravel) varied from one load to the next.

Also when sections of concrete are poured at different times, it is difficult to get the same conditions after each pour so the amount of fine versus coarse material that comes to the surface is the same each time.
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I think it looks neet! With some really good advice from a color Pro, I would consider adding, here and there, your gorgeous border stain to the job. Leave some dark if you want to, leave some light, but that border stain on the sides of the driveway, is just fantastic, and I would add that to some of the sections. That way, it will look like you chose to make it that way. The border color is simply delicious! Just a suggestion, you have to like it for yourself, so ask a color expert to help out. They can show you wonders, that you would really love.

Last edited by Sheila4467; 11-07-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: too much assumption on my part
Sheila4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #5

Thanks

Last edited by kywildcat; 11-15-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Varigated color staining covers a multitude of sins.... http://www.etchedinstonedesigns.com/..._salon_010.jpg
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #7

rain or not, it is very rare that you will pour 2 seperate times + get the same color. If it was me, assuming those rained on squares have some logical sense to the rest of the layout of driveway,... do them a different color. Acid staining is my fave!
The strange thing is that freshly placed concrete that gets wet always turns much lighter. The contractor did nothing wrong besides not watching the weather. We got caught on a garage floor this spring where there was nothing forcasted + it rained for 2 hours shortly after it was on the ground....?
user64621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #8

Oddly enough though it doesn't make your slab look any better. That "different looking" concrete is actually better concrete than what I can see in the other pictures. It will be much less likely to crack. The only pads I design are for structural purposes and as soon as there is a skin on it we apply burlap and cover it with plastic to keep it as wet as possible for those critical first few days.

Concrete hardening is a hydration reaction meaning that the water particles mixed in with it make the reaction happen but it is exothermic. so it warms up. If your concrete isn't covered the water in the top of the pour evaporates off and the concrete does not fully react, that's why your "proper" concrete is a pale grey.

Actually as someone earlier mentioned if the darker stuff is all in the centre, as it appears in the picture I would just treat all of it and then you would have the darker inner stuff and the brown outer stuff.
Salem747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

Since the entire pour was 80 cubic yards, there probably 8 loads or so if the 80 is an accurate number. -
That is a wide , long or thick driveway. The more loads the greater the probability of color variation.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #10

We realize that each load would be different because of the # of yards, delivery dates, etc. The rain was unexpected.

Last edited by kywildcat; 11-15-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #11

I have to agree, that other than your dark, light issue, that is one beautiful piece of work, and it shows.
I just know your going to make the right decision on this one, don't worry too much, and just do it! Your gut knows what to do. Please make sure you let us know what you decided on, I'm looking forward to your answer.
Sheila4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #12

Since you have a dusting issue from finishing in water into the surface, you are most likely going to have to correct with a chemical hardener. Can you take a nail + scratch the surface easily? The surface that was rained on will wear much faster then the concrete that was not affected, in a long term sense.
Another suggestion would be to profile to expose "some" aggregate, which would take care of the weak surface + give you more of a creative look. Maybe (???) even achieve similar color as the rest minus the surface texture.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #13

Can you post a picture from farther away of the questioned spot in relation to the garage??

Also wanted to say,... there is always a creative solution to make a mishap blend in.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #14

Thanks

Last edited by kywildcat; 11-15-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

tpolk

did you use platisizer to lengthen working time. The rain is a plus for curing time not a negative. Did you check delivery tickets, any load over an hour on the truck is considered a hot load and usualy does not conform to suppliers specs and may have caused the color change as concrete was curing on truck as it sits. if you received a hot load the supplier may help with fix it costs

Last edited by tpolk; 11-08-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add info
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement