Rafter Tie Spacing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
M&D

Rewards Points: 6

Rafter Tie Spacing

Cathedral ceiling. Don't want to have scissor trusses made because I want the pitch of the ceiling to be the same as the roof. I don't want to use a Ridge Beam. I'm going to use Rafter Ties on the Top Plate. Code says a Rafter Tie every 48". However, the exterior walls are going to be 2X6 with double Top Plate. If 48" between Rafter Ties are good for 2X4 exterior wall construction, then it seems that more space between would be fine for 2X6 construction. Anyone know of any reference that allows this.
M&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,637

Re: Rafter Tie Spacing

No and I don't why you would bother even looking. Every 48" is the minimum standard. If the wind ever blows you will need every one you have. I put one on every rafter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
M&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
No and I don't why you would bother even looking. Every 48" is the minimum standard. If the wind ever blows you will need every one you have. I put one on every rafter.

I'll tie every rafter to the Top Plate. What I'm talking about it is the tie from outside wall to outside wall. What keeps the downward force on a sloped roof from spreading the walls apart. They're called Rafter Ties in Building Code. Ceiling joists often serve the function. Sometimes Collar Ties up higher can do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 924

I don't see how it makes a difference whether the walls are 2x4 or 2x6. The tension on your rafter tie is going to be the same, and at some point the connection between the tie and the rafter is going be the weak point.

Most modern roofs are framed with a ridge beam these days.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
M&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
I don't see how it makes a difference whether the walls are 2x4 or 2x6. The tension on your rafter tie is going to be the same, and at some point the connection between the tie and the rafter is going be the weak point.

Most modern roofs are framed with a ridge beam these days.

Yeah. My thinking is that with 2X6 plate there is more resistance to it being "bowed' out. That that was the reason for needing the ties every 48". Fewer ties does mean that each one, and it's attachment point is doing more work. That's probably the reason I cant find anything that allows wider spacing.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 13,968

You won't find a change in the code for 2x6.
And to clarify ceiling joists and rafter ties are the same and can be on the wall or anywhere in the lower third of the rafter.
They are there to prevent gravity from pushing the walls out
Hurricane ties are added to prevent wind lift of the lower roof.
Collar ties prevent wind lift at the peak and can be anywhere in the upper third.
A tie that holds the gable in place laid across the rafter ties will not be more than 10 feet from a wall or each other. one or more angle brace from close to peak of the gable to hold the gable plumb.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement