Radon Mitigation During Construction - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Radon mitigation during construction

Looked at the Radon post and couldn't find an answer to this - I've already (had) installed a Radon mitigation System (in an unfinished basement) which included sealing the perimeter wall/floor joints as well as expansion joints and the system includes the requisite pump. All is currently well.

However, I'm getting ready to stud out the basement, which will, of course, require nailing/securing the base plate (?) to the floor - thereby negating at least some of the previously mentioned sealing.

So here's the question - should I put sealer on the length bottom of the plate when I'm putting it down or just put it down and then come back and seal the whole perimeter again?
Thanks,
Rick
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,622

you mention ' pump ',,, is that an air evacuation pump OR water pump as in sump pump,,, either way, you're fine,,, seal when done !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,130

Were you forced to install the mitigation, or did you just do it? Having worked over 30 years in the nuclear/health physics world I can categorically say that residential radon mitigation is the biggest racket going.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #4

No, I wasn't forced to - I chose to do it. I split the cost with the builder and he wasn't happy about it, but then again, he had never heard of Radon before??

Yeh, Radon could be a sinister plot by the government (or the people who sell the air evacuation pumps), or the levels could be set incorrectly, or it could all be hooey, but for $1K and the reduced threat of cancer - I'm willing to pay it to sleep well at night, and have others safely sleep in the basement and the grandkiddos to play there.

Over the course of my decades on earth, I probably wasted a lot more on a lot less.

Just my two cents worth.

Rick
Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Upinsmoke, have you been testing the radon levels in your basement to know your baseline before you finish it?

If your mitigation system is currently running it will draw down any radon that exists under the slab so there shouldn't be much risk of it trying to escape somewhere else. Plus the nails would be self-sealing and not completely penetrating the concrete anyway, right?

I wouldn't worry about. Just do your construction and measure radon level after you are done to determine if anything is needed.

Since radon is prevalent in our area I bought an electronic radon meter. It provides a lot of peace of mind if you're worried about radon.
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #6

Good points - the basement is due for an annual reading, but I read somewhere (DIY maybe) that it should be measured in different seasons. So I'll probably take one before we start (but after it's studded) - summer - and then another the first of next year - winter. I don't know that four seasons will be needed. This will also tell me if I need to seam seal it - thanks.

An interesting point - at least to me - when I painted on the Dri-Lok, I made sure to do a good job at the wall/floor joint. The vacuum pulled by the pump, as indicated on the gauge, increased a noticeable amount. I'm guessing there were a bunch of little tiny leaks which all added up and the Dri-Lok just sealed er' up.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement