R&R Bathroom - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
jho

Rewards Points: 75

R&R bathroom

Sometime next year after my fiance and I tie the knot, we have plans of gutting the bathroom and finishing it. I have an extra full bath in the basement which gets very little use, but plan to use it while finishing this bathroom. Then it's not so much of a big deal rushing to get it completed. I'm a pretty handy guy, finished my basement over a year ago, and haven't run into any problems thus far with any of the electrical or plumbing that I did. Just trying to get a rough idea of what it might cost to get this bathroom redone. I'll post a picture, but I'll also explain what we plan to do with it.

First of all, we need a new toilet, sink and tub, and I plan to get these at Home Depot, probably the Champion elongated toilet, a raised bowl sink with cabinets below, and a standard tub, all in white.

As for the tiles, I plan to rip out all the wall and floor tiles, and replace the floor tiles with some left over 12" ceramic tiles I have from tiling my basement, and pick up some other tiles to tile the surrounding area in the shower area. The rest of the walls will remain just drywalled.

I'm also wondering if that soffet above the shower, if that can be removed, and made flush with the ceiling above the toilet. Is there duct work up there? I've seen in my neighbor's house, which was built around the same time as mine (around the late 50's), his bathroom's finished and the soffet is removed.

Any input you guys have would be much appreciated. TIA!

Last edited by jho; 11-30-2011 at 03:42 PM.
jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Nothing much to input until you begin to take out.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Nothing much to input until you begin to take out.
Do you have an idea of roughly how much it'd cost me to have this done? I just want to have an idea before I take this job on. Maybe it'd be more cost effective to hire someone, but if it's not that much more expensive to do it myself, I'm all for it. I love taking these kind of jobs on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Do you have an idea of roughly how much it'd cost me to have this done?
None what-so-ever! Sorry.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Make a few phone calls---a simple gut and re-do will start in the $10,000 to $15,000 range--for a nice looking tiled bath with good fixturing.

It is possible to spend a ton more --if you go upscale---or major structural and mechanical is needed--
Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Make a few phone calls---a simple gut and re-do will start in the $10,000 to $15,000 range--for a nice looking tiled bath with good fixturing.

It is possible to spend a ton more --if you go upscale---or major structural and mechanical is needed--
10-15k if I hire someone? Damn, I guess I will be doing it myself then. lol Do you have an idea roughly how much materials would be if I did it myself? I was figuring around 2000 or so

Last edited by jho; 11-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

With a gut job? I'm no expert, but I'd say you could very easily double that, unless you plan on getting bargain basement crud.

I'm planning a bathroom too, to be worked on this spring. I got an idea in mind and am picking stuff up as I see it. So far I have the tile I need, mirror, and light fixtures, all at great prices.

Edited to add:
Next time you're in a home improvement store add it all up:
Tub, toilet, sink, sink faucet, shower/tub faucet,(don't cheap out on these two!) tile, medicine cabinet, light fixtures, ventilation fan, towel bars etc.
And that's just the stuff you see.

Last edited by Blondesense; 11-30-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
With a gut job? I'm no expert, but I'd say double that, unless you plan on getting bargain basement crud.

I'm planning a bathroom too, to be worked on this spring. I got an idea in mind and am picking stuff up as I see it. So far I have the tile I need, mirror, and light fixtures, all at great prices.
That's a good way to do it, buy when the deals come around. I need to start doing that too. I already have the vision of how the bathroom's going to look
Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Cast iron Kohler Villager tub--Less than $400---brass drain set $65---Mixer valve $200---Fan/light and duct $165--

Pipe and fitting to replumb--$200 to $300 (based on copper and pvc drains)

Rewire---$200----insulation $100---drywall and mud---$150----new sub floor--$60---rock for walls and floor--$80

Waterproofing for walls--$60 to$100---Mud to set tiles---$50---(you figure the tiles--)

Paint and primer--$100---trim for door window floor---$50--

sink-vanity faucet--toilet--tub doors or curtain---towel bars--mirror--

Add it up---Mike----
ben's plumbing (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 10,042

One of the things I have learned when it comes to home improvement projects is that you have to have the right tools.....

The #1 tool that you need when you start this project.....shop vac....with a 2 1/2" hose.....dirt is one of the biggest issues.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,102

Just keep in mind

Marriage is like a deck of cards
In the beginning its all hearts and diamonds

After awhile it more like
Clubs and a Spade

oh'mike (12-03-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Just keep in mind

Marriage is like a deck of cards
In the beginning its all hearts and diamonds

After awhile it more like
Clubs and a Spade

haha I didn't realize I was going to get some marriage advice, too. Thanks for the good laugh.

I have most of the tools that I believe I'll need for the job, including a shop vac. I'm a bit of a tool whore. Thanks for the tips guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement