Question About Tiling Over Front Stoop - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #1

Question about tiling over front stoop

Hi all. I'm looking to tile my front stoop. As you can see the previous owner extended the existing front step with a larger, covered front porch/stoop. I have been doing my research on leveling the stoop and preparing it for tile, but my I have a question on where the tile meets the wood siding. I know pouring the leveling concrete right against the tile would be against code and create the potential for water damage, but would it be okay just to leave a ~1" gap (using a temporary spacer board) between the new leveling concrete+tiles and the siding? In other words there would be a small trench between the tiles and the wall between where the tiles end and the wood siding begins. The logic here is any water that does get in will have plenty of room to get out. I don't believe this is any different in terms of water damage potential as the stoop exists today (they siding, despite being misaligned, shows no sign of water damage).

I live in California, so the area is incredibly dry 80% of the year. It is also all 1'+ under the roof line of the house/porch, so unless there is a torrential downpour it stays 100% dry.

The only other option I see is to remove the siding, add proper treated lumber, and flash, which is a lot more work. Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Question about tiling over front stoop-img_0048_1497840533643.jpg   Question about tiling over front stoop-img_0044_1497840551739.jpg  
Homeonthe40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,292

Re: Question about tiling over front stoop

Do as you propose with a 1x1 along the siding, then remove it once the SLC has cured. The main thing I would be worried about is the two slabs slipping against one another. We don't know how they were joined. Were there rebars drilled into the old slab and left protruding for the new one? Or was it just a lucky pour that ended up right for the time being? Having the little trough behind the SLC won't hurt as your tile can span that gap with no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response chandler!

Yes leaving a 1x1 spacer then knocking Ut out is exactly my plan. When you say the tile can span the gap, are you suggesting tiling right up against the siding? I was actually going to stop the tile at the edge of the SLC. I know it wouldn't be the most aesthetically pleasing, but I figured a gap there would allow and moisture to escape. I guess I could gap the span to within 1/4" of the wall or so to improve the look but still allow moisture to escape.

It looks like they did a proper job with the concrete and may have done rebar. I know the prior owners bought the house in 2005 and didn't do any work. I think the stoop extension was likely done in 1995 when there was a large kitchen addition done (last time permits were pulled). The roofline for both the stoop extension and and kitchen, so timing makes sense. There has been virtually no movement of the extension concrete in 20+ years if that is correct.
Homeonthe40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,066

Porches like this usually aren't perfectly flat, but pitched slightly so that the rain can drain off in the direction you want it to...away from the house. If you make it flat, or close to it, it might just direct all that water to the house.
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 540

Bit off topic, but what kind of tile? Only tiles safe for outside step is slate or terra cotta.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement