Proper Way To Flash T1-11 Doors - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 398

Proper way to flash t1-11 doors

Location FL

The siding on my house is similar to T1-11. It is just rough sawn pine siding with trim pieces to mimic board and batten. Currently, the 1x4 cedar trim pieces are just caulked to the windows and siding. This seemed to have held up for 30 years. I've replaced some of the siding and trim pieces and did not see any water intrusion.

I'm planning on installing some anderson double hung doors. Is there a way to flash T1-11? It acts as the sheathing and siding.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,024

Just get some "Z" flashing and slip it under the T1-11 and over your doors and window trim, and then caulk and paint as usual.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davejss For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,166

as davejss mentions do the z flashing and then possibly go over that with your 1x trim. the z flashing stops water penetration behind the trim but you do want to caulk the trim really well too especially the top edge against the T 1-11. you do not need the Z down the sides either just the top...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

Is this the door, high impact resistant (required in FL), first one; http://www.andersenwindows.com/produ...ed-patio-door/ Notice #14 for metal drip cap as said already.

You can add trim in two different ways; 1x over the T-1 or 2x without T-1 under it, your choice. IMO, flash it 2 times, once above the trim and once above the door. Don't rely on caulking for long-term water resistance. Be sure to leave 1/4" at siding/door jambs and head. Bend the 90* to 117 or so as directed, no caulking except at ends next to where the end dams are. The trim will expand/contract at different rates/size to the structural siding. Use a sill pan under it or at least sticky tape, some guides, head flashing end-dams, pp.8, head flash, pp.10, and pp.18; http://www.mtcc1170.com/images/BCRainScreen.pdf At least sticky tape over the install brackets as directed.

Here is another one; panel wood siding, second group down; http://www.certainteed.com/Pros/Tool...g/CAD-Drawings

Be sure to use some low-exp. canned foam inside and poly backer rod under the caulking outside. Don't nail through the T-1/flashing below when attaching the trim.

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-07-2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: sp
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement