Proper Fasteners For Beam/post/joist Intersection - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodworkbykirk
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


So I am building a deck, and I have a point where a post, the deck beam, and a joist all meet together as shown in the (crude) drawing attached. What would be the appropriate fasteners to use in this case? I can notch the post if needed.

Thanks


Attached Thumbnails
Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection-postbeamjoist.png  

Last edited by scottchantry; 07-03-2018 at 11:32 PM.
scottchantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 8,354
Rewards Points: 1,336
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


Use a double joist hanger for the joists. Is that what you are asking?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...8-2Z/100375219

You'll also need beam to post connectors like this, except in 6" https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...PC4Z/100375087
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.

Last edited by chandler48; 07-04-2018 at 08:27 AM.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Member
 
Knucklez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 1,120
Rewards Points: 1,002
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


pretty sure notching posts are no longer allowed by IRC. 3x2x10... that's one heck of a beam, you must be spanning a long distance or plan to support a monster load. the beam sits on the post via a metal bracket, and probably it will be in the middle of the post.
and then the joist meets the beam but its not so easy to attach because of the previously mentioned metal bracket. however, if you plan it out, you can drill holes in that metal bracket so you can connect the joist 2-2x hanger to it (nailing the hanger through the metal beam bracket and into the wood of the beam).
__________________
"if you can't be handsome, at least you can be handy" -Redgreen
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


Is nailing through an existing fastener an acceptable practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
pretty sure notching posts are no longer allowed by IRC. 3x2x10... that's one heck of a beam, you must be spanning a long distance or plan to support a monster load. the beam sits on the post via a metal bracket, and probably it will be in the middle of the post.
and then the joist meets the beam but its not so easy to attach because of the previously mentioned metal bracket. however, if you plan it out, you can drill holes in that metal bracket so you can connect the joist 2-2x hanger to it (nailing the hanger through the metal beam bracket and into the wood of the beam).
scottchantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


If I attach the post connector you suggested the way it shows in the installation diagram, it will block the joist hanger connection, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Use a double joist hanger for the joists. Is that what you are asking?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...8-2Z/100375219

You'll also need beam to post connectors like this, except in 6" https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...PC4Z/100375087
scottchantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 31,265
Rewards Points: 6,188
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottchantry View Post
If I attach the post connector you suggested the way it shows in the installation diagram, it will block the joist hanger connection, or am I missing something?

Thanks
What is the other hanger you are taking about, can you post a picture or link?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 8,354
Rewards Points: 1,336
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


Not really. The big flat piece will be on the beam pointed up while the two legs will be pointed down and on the side of the 6x6. Applying it on one side of the beam on the flat will suffice, while the joist hanger on the joist and attached to the other side of the beam will help hold the inner part. Yes, if you try to install one on the inside, it will occlude the installation of the joist hanger, although there is no prohibition from drilling through them both and using joist hanger screws on the flat should you want to install 2.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 31,265
Rewards Points: 6,188
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Not really. The big flat piece will be on the beam pointed up while the two legs will be pointed down and on the side of the 6x6. Applying it on one side of the beam on the flat will suffice, while the joist hanger on the joist and attached to the other side of the beam will help hold the inner part. Yes, if you try to install one on the inside, it will occlude the installation of the joist hanger, although there is no prohibition from drilling through them both and using joist hanger screws on the flat should you want to install 2.
We place hangers and drive nails thru flat straps on trusses all the time.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 3,480
Rewards Points: 1,578
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
pretty sure notching posts are no longer allowed by IRC. 3x2x10... that's one heck of a beam, you must be spanning a long distance or plan to support a monster load. the beam sits on the post via a metal bracket, and probably it will be in the middle of the post.
and then the joist meets the beam but its not so easy to attach because of the previously mentioned metal bracket. however, if you plan it out, you can drill holes in that metal bracket so you can connect the joist 2-2x hanger to it (nailing the hanger through the metal beam bracket and into the wood of the beam).



notching 6x6 posts is fine because it creates a pocket for a beam to bear on.. if it carries up through for another level or pergola just make sure to fasten to the top of the beam using screws or connector plates


4x4 posts cannot be knotched and cant be used for bearing posts. only hand rail posts
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
Member
 
Knucklez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 1,120
Rewards Points: 1,002
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
notching 6x6 posts is fine
i checked IRC and you are right. thanks!

interesting though the notch can't be deeper than 5" so that means beams are made of two 2x6 which will dictate your spans to next post
Attached Thumbnails
Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection-6x6notch.jpg  
__________________
"if you can't be handsome, at least you can be handy" -Redgreen
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 20
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
i checked IRC and you are right. thanks!

interesting though the notch can't be deeper than 5" so that means beams are made of two 2x6 which will dictate your spans to next post
That's the max. bolt spacing, not the max. notch depth.

You can only notch for double beam, not triple.

A little more info would be helpful. Why are you not resting the joist(s) on the beam? What is the purpose of having those 2 joists sandwiched together? What is your max. joist span?
dmd5013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 3,480
Rewards Points: 1,578
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


its totally fine to notch for a 3ply beam as its will then provide full bearing on the post. if that post will be continuous you simply need to fasten down into the top of the beam .



ive never been questioned by a inspector doing so.. however i have been questioned by not having the beam fully bearing,, they have required hangers to be installed
Nealtw likes this.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Re: Proper fasteners for beam/post/joist intersection


subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
pandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
deck , fasteners



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proper way to install chimney pipe in metal building roof jonblack Building & Construction 15 01-31-2012 11:50 AM
proper way to terminal romex entering drywall Red Squirrel Electrical 10 03-03-2010 01:43 PM
proper material for service grounding rod? Jim S. Electrical 9 02-05-2009 10:25 PM
Help! What is Proper Way to Install Manufactured Stone? EricW Building & Construction 3 01-07-2007 04:56 PM
What is the proper ventilation needed? Ice Damns causing problems. alanisaacson Roofing/Siding 1 01-07-2005 02:38 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts