Porch Post - Con Heart Rough Ok? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

Porch Post - Con Heart Rough ok?

A bit confused about the rough redwood vs finished grade. I want to use 4x4 rough redwood for the porch post of my small house build. Grade is con heart and I believe that is ok for post and beams.

Any insight? The structure requires small lvl's between post for porch roof rafters. I do not want to use PT I'm certain it will warp and bend as it dries.

It's not spec'd on plans, other that 4x4. It will be exposed as a porch, but will be sheathed in 1x redwood smooth or cedar for paint ability.
PandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Porch Post - Con Heart Rough ok?

Redwood is not quite as strong as typical pine, see the following table for more information http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood-strength-table/

However, redwood is probably fine for a post on a small house, but to be certain, run the idea by your designer of record.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Redwood is not quite as strong as typical pine, see the following table for more information http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood-strength-table/

However, redwood is probably fine for a post on a small house, but to be certain, run the idea by your designer of record.
No pine out here in CA for building, just Doug Fir, redwood and cedar. My question is more about rough redwood vs the smooth finished redwood. The rough is 1/4" wider at 3 3/4" vs 3 1/2" for smooth.

I just did not know if there are any differences in grain and strength. The porch roof is light load and 4/12 pitch and 6' deep. I am attaching lvl beam hangers on it for porch roof structure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 708

For a Timber Frame building, the structural posts are often specified as FOHC or Free of Heart Centre, meaning the Post should not be made with any part of the centre part of the tree.
Including the heart in a post can lead to some strange checks and twists in the Posts.
Probably not critical for your application, but thought I should mention it in case you can find a FOHC piece to use for these posts.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
For a Timber Frame building, the structural posts are often specified as FOHC or Free of Heart Centre, meaning the Post should not be made with any part of the centre part of the tree.
Including the heart in a post can lead to some strange checks and twists in the Posts.
Probably not critical for your application, but thought I should mention it in case you can find a FOHC piece to use for these posts.

hmm....interesting. Definetly not spec'd on plans, but I want to follow any codes or best build practices. PT is an option but that stuff twist and bends as it dries so hate to use.

I was thinking Con Heart (construction) was ok for porch post that's why checking here.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

I wanted to follow up with outcome for anyone in future who might wonder. I got the all clear from building dept and Architect. Porch roof load is minimal so calc's where fine. This is great as I'm sure the redwood heart will last a long time. It will be sheathed in redwood also for appearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement