Pool Paving Crack - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By joed
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer
  • 1 Post By Msradell

Old 10-21-2017, 02:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Pool paving crack

Hi all. I've recently bought my first home. Its not without its challenges as its quite an old house.

The paving around the pool needs repair but the pattern of the crack seems like its going to take more than a bit of concrete to fill the gaps.

What is the cause of those cracks?
What is a lasting solution to repair it while also enhancing the yard.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Buggas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 886

Re: Pool paving crack

It cracked because the ground moved, most likely because the concrete pad under it was either too thin or poured over uncompacted ground.
The ideal fix would be to rip it all out and start over
Bondo and Mike Milam like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

You mean the paving and pool or just the paving?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Buggas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 886

Just the paving [pavers and concrete that supports it]
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,548

The land around the pool is moving. There is not enough soil and the hill is collapsing. You need to bring a whole lot more soil or build a retaining wall to hold what is there in place.
Mike Milam likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 148

Depending on your location ground water could cause the pool to move.
Cast in place pools have a well point installed at the deepest end the cap on the well point needs to be removed if the pool is drained.
If your pool is a concrete cast in place you need to check some of the following.
What is the ground water level? What is the high water table? Also if the pool water level is lower than the water table it can start to move upward. If the pool was drained for any period of time the pool could have floated.
Mike Milam likes this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBauer View Post
Depending on your location ground water could cause the pool to move.
Cast in place pools have a well point installed at the deepest end the cap on the well point needs to be removed if the pool is drained.
If your pool is a concrete cast in place you need to check some of the following.
What is the ground water level? What is the high water table? Also if the pool water level is lower than the water table it can start to move upward. If the pool was drained for any period of time the pool could have floated.
I've never seen this happen with a Gunite pool even when it was drained. I've only seen it happen to fiberglass pools which are something completely different. A properly designed and constructed Gunite pool will not float up out of the ground.

By looking at this pool that's also not the case. The ground around it very obviously sunk and it looks like the fill around was not compacted nor was the concrete properly placed.
mark sr likes this.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 148

Yes a Gunite pool will float.
In the area I am in when a concrete ( Gunite ) pool is placed you will need to dig the deepest end about four feet deeper fill with gravel & well point than keep a pump hooked to the well point running during time of construction up until the time water is flowing in the pool. I have seen many pool float up 2 inches in one day. I have also removed the well point plug after the pool was drained because someone didn't know any better this pool was about 400 yards from the river. Other pools had to be removed after they floated up.
The land I am on at this time I can get water by digging down about 1.5 ft.
If I were to dig down 10 ft which I have done many times the water after 24 hrs. would be 2 ft. from ground level. A pool here will float.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement