Pole Building Post Anchoring - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pole building post anchoring

Hi Guys,

I have just joined and look forward to being able to participate in the discussions sometime.

For now I have a couple of questions that some of you may be able to help me with.

I am looking at building a carport roughly 24' x 24' x 8ft inside height. I live in an area subject to heavy snowfalls during the winter - hence the car port idea - to keep the snow and ice off the vehicles.

I am looking to use pole building technique and was wondering about good post anchor methods for the support posts. I know on occasion we experience strong winds so the post support must do double duty to prevent them from being pulled out as well as offer proper support for the structure.

Because of the location and heavy snow - the roof will need to be sloped and this adds to the overall weight of the structure.

I am thinking of posts 10 ft apart supported on 4ft deep concrete bases ( I don't know the proper terms yet) looking like inverted mushroom - ie round pad and column combined. While these would probably offer good support - what would be a good arrangment to lock the foot of the post to this foundation to prevent the whole roof being "lifted off" by strong winds.

Sorry if this is over simplistic, but I have yet to see a securing arrangement that would safely do what I want - I am sure they are there, I just haven't seen them yet.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

mariner
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

dig the hole to your local code requirement depth and width and put the post it the hole. No anchor needed ( that is how they do pole barns).
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I built many pole barns for a major retailer. Dig a large hole to below the frost line or at least 4' deep. Place a 24" diameter concrete pad, about 4" thick, in the bottom of the hole and set the post on that, back fill and tamp the hole while plumbing the post. Use a 6x6 treated post
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,494

Quote:
I am thinking of posts 10 ft apart supported on 4ft deep concrete bases
Ayuh,... Go with 8' centers, so your dimensions work out right, 'n panel products, as well as lumber will fit properly...

About the simplest, redneck process I've ever seen is,..(Ok,.. Involved with)
Dig a hole 4' or so deep, keepin' the very bottom grade level, 'n undisturbed soil...
Drop in a 55 gallon drum,...
Drop an ole utility pole into the drum,...
True, 'n level it, brace it,...
Then backfill with concrete....
55gal. drums are only 3' tall, so taper the concrete the last foot, so frost can't lift it...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Bondo, I'm sure he's using horizontal framing to overlap the posts. That means he could go 9 or 11 ' oc and it wouldn't matter
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
Bondo, I'm sure he's using horizontal framing to overlap the posts. That means he could go 9 or 11 ' oc and it wouldn't matter

Ayuh,... How does 10' divide into 24' total,..??

12', 'n 12',... Ok...

Quote:
I am looking at building a carport roughly 24' x 24' x 8ft inside height.
I am thinking of posts 10 ft apart

Last edited by Bondo; 11-30-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement