Pole Barn Construction/Framing And Finishes - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 561

Pole Barn Construction/Framing and Finishes

This might be a little far afield for a DIY forum, but there seem to be plenty of seasoned professionals posting here, and that is the crowd from whom I seek opinion.

I am purchasing a home that lacks a garage. I want to add a detached garage.

Pole Barn companies in my area (Eastern Shore of Maryland) offer a wide variety of attractive --- and very cost effective solutions. However, I want the advantages of the lower costs of pole barn framing, but for architectural and building permit approval reasons, I want the exterior to be more "traditional": sheathed with vinyl siding and roofed with shingles (to match the house) vs. the typical corrugated steel/plastic one sees in many pole barn applications.

So far, I haven't found any pole barn companies interested in this --- they all want to build their pre canned designs. I've talked to two home builders, who both just referred me back to the pole barn people.

What's the best way to proceed? I believe I can get some engineer stamped drawings for the framing. Would a GC be willing to take those drawings and a materials package, and complete the project with sheathing and shingles? I'm sure I can find someone to submit the correct package to secure permits.
Curmudgeon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 898

Re: Pole Barn Construction/Framing and Finishes

What you want is extremely common. With HOA's running most newer developments, HO's are forced to build outbuildings to match their homes. You can absolutely build a pole style outbuilding.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 306

Re: Pole Barn Construction/Framing and Finishes

Yes it is quite doable, and any custom contractor worth their chalk for the chalk-line can do this.

Might I advise you to anchor it to the ground good.

It's not funny to see your money rolling away in a huge wind gust.

I once had a small 10 X 16 pole shed that was hit by a mini tornado, I watched it rise out of the ground , go up about 40 feet, spin around a couple of times, and crash to the ground 100 yards from it's original placement.

I'm glad that it crashed in an empty field, and not on someone or something .

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement