Please Provide Help On Exterior Finishes - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please provide help on exterior finishes

Hi, My name is Linda and my husband and I are thinking of having the sides of our driveway done in pavers. I am really not sure about pavers, as to the durability of them from heavy rain or snow. I have seen pavers when I have driven through different neighborhoods and some look very nice, but I have seen some that were really not nice. I imagine there are different grades of pavers, and I really am not sure as to the different colors that they come in. Can they match the exterior color of your home? If anyone can help us out with the questions we have on pavers, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Linda-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Well I am sure from what I have seen that there are different grades, materials, finishes on them and colors. You could probably go to a "Lowes" type big box as they have a fairly large selection at this time of year.

However I would also try and go to a supplier that specializes in stones, pavers, and concrete -- we have them in southern Maine -- not sure where you are located, but they usually have sales people that can advise you on the different questions you have.

When you say side of your driveway, will these be like a curbing or to be driven on? I would be somewhat concerned maybe if you are in snow country where your driveway will need to be plowed for snow removal they will get pushed all over the place.
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Please provide help on exterior finishes

Hi all,

Searching GOOGLE i found a very interesting guide about pavers , i found the following section specially interesting for people not full familiar with this specific industry but you can found the full article at:

http://flpavers.com/questions_answers.html

(...)

7. There are some chips and cracks in my bricks, what do I do?
Minor chips and cracks are part of the paving stones. Paving stones are not designed to be perfect. They are designed to be rustic in appearance. Fortunately, Florida offers the ability to create pastel colors so sometimes this rustic appearance can be modernized through color. Chips and cracks do not mean your paving stones are “bad”. Due to the manufacturing process, a chip can be the result of a piece of rock breaking or the brick during packaging, shipping, installation or final compacting. Minor chips and cracks incidental to the usual and customary method of handling and installation are totally acceptable. Excessive chipping and cracking is generally attributed to inappropriate compacting and or preparation of the base. Please do not look at a paving stone installation one stone at the time. Paving stones are meant to be looked at as a group, since they are not designed to be perfect. Stand back, survey your paving stones bearing in mind the color is what passersby, neighbors friends and relatives will see, not individual bricks.

8. What about stains on my brick?
There are products design to remove many of the common stains found on driveways and pool decks. Tremron can be contacted for assistance in stain removal and prevention. In many instances, dishwashing liquid and a scrub brush may be the answer for stains that haven’t yet set. Do not use undiluted muriatic acid as it can damage the bricks.

9. What is the whitish looking substance on my bricks?
What you are seeing is called efflorescence. This is a whitish deposit caused by a combination of water and soluble salts in the air and ground. When the paving stones are manufactured and admixture is included to help reduce the occurrence of efflorescence. However, it is impossible to prevent. The high water table in Florida, combined with the sand materials used to manufacture and install your paving stones, added to the salts in the air makes prevention impossible. Eventually the efflorescence will go away by itself. Should you wish to hurry the natural process along, it can be removed through cleaning with a specially designed efflorescence remover. Efflorescence or its occurrence does not signify bad material.

10. What are some of the paver attributes?
Pavers have many different colors, therefore you can match your house and paver colors together.

Pavers do not tend to crack like concrete.

Sealed pavers have more color to them, and sometimes tend to look like they have been wet down.

When sealed, pavers will become more stain resistant.

Pavers just look better than gray concrete and many different styles of looks can be added to the design of project for a impressive outcome.

If problems do arise with a few pavers it is simple to replace them. Just pop them out and add new pavers in their place.

(...)

Also if you visite the site take a look on the pavers photo gallery you will find it very interesting. But probably too much for my budget

Kisses

Linda
Linda-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement