Please Help Me Fix This Problem - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please Help Me Fix This Problem

My electric wire was anchored to a 2x4 now it's pulled from my roof. The electric co. says I have to put it back first. The 2x4 was nailed underneath the soffit. Can I nail a 2x4 back up without removing the soffit first?

It looks like everything will pop back into place. I have no experience with this whatsoever. I know I have to buy a new piece of wood & nails. It looks like 3 inch nails were used. Can I just hammer these back in? Do I need any special tools to get the nails in. Am I nailing into concrete or wood? The electric co. will replace the circle piece where the wire is attached to the 2x4.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!

eta. the electric co says it's okay to fix this issue without being electricuted as long as i don't cut the wire. which i won't be doing!
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8620/imgp0232m.jpg
Attached Images

HandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 2,040

That's a cheesy way to hang the cable and it will look bad.
I think I would hire an electrician to either hang it properly or replace the entire cable and add conduit.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 07-01-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I agree ClutchCargo. That's how most of the cables are hung in my neighborhood. I have no idea why they hung it that way
HandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

So you just need to re-attach the 2x4 & then they will re-connect the wire?
Mine have always been attached to a strong beam 2x10 etc

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyMandy View Post
. the electric co says it's okay to fix this issue without being electricuted as long as i don't cut the wire. which i won't be doing!
You mean the power is still live and they said you won't fry if you don't cut the wires?

If the power is still live you could easily kill yourself!!!!

Please let an electrician handle this one. There's many many better things to attempt DIY that aren't life threatening.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Even if those wires are dead,as they look,leave this to an electrician.If you get the right guy he will correct that mess by properly supporting and rewiring it.It is obvious from the questions you ask that pro help is needed and high voltage electricity is not a good place to learn. Just my opinion,don't want you to get hurt or burn your house down.
white29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyMandy View Post
My electric wire was anchored to a 2x4 now it's pulled from my roof. The electric co. says I have to put it back first. The 2x4 was nailed underneath the soffit. Can I nail a 2x4 back up without removing the soffit first?

It looks like everything will pop back into place. I have no experience with this whatsoever. I know I have to buy a new piece of wood & nails. It looks like 3 inch nails were used. Can I just hammer these back in? Do I need any special tools to get the nails in. Am I nailing into concrete or wood? The electric co. will replace the circle piece where the wire is attached to the 2x4.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!

eta. the electric co says it's okay to fix this issue without being electricuted as long as i don't cut the wire. which i won't be doing!
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8620/imgp0232m.jpg
What you have there, will not just pop back into place.
Obviously the method that was used was unsafe, as is witnessed by your photo's.
It is my guess that this type of installation was carried out before WWII. At least in my area it wouldn't have been allowed since 1945.
A licenced electrician will have to hired and a permit taken out. This will probably require a 'stack' to be installed along with a new meter base and electrical panel.
Assuming that the NEC applies in your area.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement