Pipe + Wood Spinner - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pipe + Wood Spinner

Hi There

Nice to meet everyone.

I am busy with a DIY project building a Dome. To build my dome, I am using a pipe that is centered onto a board. Attached to the pipe is a spinner with a wood cut out to the shape of half a Dome. This wood is my guide and helps me make my dome uniformly.

My dilemma at this stage is to follow and I require some advice. My Pipe is 2Ē in diameter. I canít seem to find a way to create a contraption which will fit onto my pipe and onto this contraption will have my wood attached. The contraption will be at a fixed height on my pipe and should be able to spin 360 Degrees around. After I do a complete 360 degree spin on my dome, I will move the contraption up a few inches and should be able to spin once again, at 360 degrees around. Again, the contraption will be moved up yet another inch or 2 and should once again be able to spin 360 degrees. Basically, what I am trying to say is that I should have the flexibility of moving the contraption attached to my wood (Wood Spinner) up or down my pipe at any height I wish.

I have attached a picture I found after scouring the internet. The picture is the very similar thing I require, but the picture seems to have a much smaller pipe than I wish to use. I couldnít get more info on the contraption that was used. I have also added a small description of what Iíve explained above to the picture to make things more understandable.

If you require any further clarification, please donít hesitate to ask.

Thanks
Regards
Woodee
Attached Thumbnails
Pipe + Wood Spinner-dome-spinner.jpg  
Woodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

How about screwing a piece of 1x4 to the template,parallel to the pipe.----------

Then you will be able to screw a temporary stop block that will ride on top of the pipe at the various heights that you need.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #3

Hi Mike

Thanks for your response.

I'm trying to understand your advice but my imagination is putrid.
Is it possible to maybe do a rough sketch of how I should implement the given advice?

Much appreciated.

Regards
Woodee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Sorry --I'm not a computer guy--I don't know how to post a picture,let alone a sketch.

We need WillieT and his magic pencil.

I'll try to explain it more clearly----You have a pipe 'flag pole'---if your template is hinged to spin on the flag pole--and has an adjustable stick that rides on the top of the flag pole--you can raise the template as needed.

You have seen the rudder on a sail boat? The tiller handle? You want a 'tiller handle that will ride on top of your 'flag pole'--

I really must learn how to post pictures. Good luck--Got to go to work--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 32,344

Get three sections of pipe that fit over your two inch pipe. One of them has a drilled a tapped hole to put in a bolt. The other two have some sort of flange attached to them to fasten to your dome shape. Sip the three pipes over your pivot pipe with the locker one in the center. Lock it at the height you require and then the other two will pivot at the set height. Loosen the set screw and raise it up for the next pass.

Here's a crude picture.
The black is your pivot pipe.
The blue is the pipes attached to your dome board
The red is the locking center pipe.

Name:  pipes.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  7.8 KB

Last edited by joed; 03-01-2010 at 07:35 AM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #6

oh'mike thanks for the further clarification. I understand much better but maybe WillieT can lend us his magic pencil, we will get a better idea.

Joed thanks for responding. Brilliant Idea. Just need to visualize this properly. Could you advise me on what sort of material (e.g pipes, bolts etc) I would require so I can pop in at my local hardware stop and see if I can source whats required and start making this contraption.

Thanks
Regards
Woodee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement