Pics Of New Concrete With Lines From Garbage Can - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

pushed heavy garbage can over new stamped concrete

the garbage can was filled with green waste and was pushed over the concrete. its stamped and a little color has been added. concrete had been poured for about 48 hours so i figured it was ok. i think it would have done the same thing if i waited a week. there are now lines from the dirty wheels (the entire garbage can is some sort of plastic) along the area that it traveled. looking up close it does not look like the concrete is dented or anything but that some of the dirt is caked onto the top as the wheels pressed on it. how would i or the concrete guy go about fixing this? i already tried spraying it with a hose and using heaed water and lightly brushing it with a handheld flat brush. i mentioned it to the guy and he said he still has to pressure wash it but has not yet seen what happened. any suggestions? theres gotten be a way to handle this as im sure its happened to many before.
amandalc04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Mix some regular household sugar in water (about a cup of sugar to a gallon). Pour some on the trouble spots and lightly scrub for about 5-6 seconds with a natural bristle brush. Then rinse. Keep repeating till it clears up.

Be sure to get all the sugar off all the cement! This is important! Sugar eats concrete. When doing severe concrete cleanup, we let the mixture dry to a white powder first... BUT I would NOT suggest that for this application. Just go slow and easy.

Of course try a very small, hopefully, obscure spot first.

This is a serious procedure. So be careful, and don't get carried away.

Let him try his pressure washing first.

Last edited by Willie T; 04-07-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #3

interesting stuff..thanks so much for the input. i appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

pressure sprayer may have faded it a little bit but still very noticable. im hoping the concrete lightens so that will change. maybe ill try the sugar/waer with a brush on a small area and see what happens
Old 04-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #5

pics of new concrete with lines from garbage can

i had the concrete poured 15 days ago and have had on and off rains since then (rains didnt start until about 2 days after it was poured). i rolled a heavy garbage over the concrete 48 hours after finished. it looks like the top coat of concrete has lines from the wheels in it and some parts of the concrete are darker than others. we havent had very warm weather yet and some area of my backyard doesnt get a lot of direct sunlight. my question is how long does it take for the concrete to reach its final color and to lighten fully. my thought it that when its a lot lighter, these marks wont be visible. the concrete guy said to not even worry about it as its still curing, but if it stayed as it is as far as color, it almost looks ruined. please offer your professional opinions since this has been bugging me quite a bit. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
pics of new concrete with lines from garbage can-concrete1.jpg   pics of new concrete with lines from garbage can-concrete2.jpg  
Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Don't fret. I think those lines will disappear when the concrete is fully cured. Give it about 15 more days.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #7

thanks..anyone else experience this before?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,016

Years ago, I poured a 16x24 slab for a garage - the next day my 3 year old son got on it with his tricycle, and round and round he went, having a great time - lines everywhere... A month or two later the lines were no longer evident.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #9

haha..sorry but that makes me feel a little better at least. the parts that seem to be taking a lot longer to cure are also parts that are covered by shade for most of the day. ill see what happens and thanks for the personal experience
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

more pics to show color/lines

does it have to be sealed? he didnt mention anythng about that. some parts as shown in pics are taking way longer to lighten. ive noticed that a stiff brush and some 50/50 water/vinger lightens it from small spots ive tried. im ready to just pour a whole bunch on and sweep it across. wold this ruin it or create a different lightened color than if it just happens on its own? also recently some little spots started showing up out of nowhere..looked almost like bird poop. could this be those deposits ive read about? where the lines show the most is taking much much longer to lighten.
Attached Thumbnails
pics of new concrete with lines from garbage can-concrete50.jpg   pics of new concrete with lines from garbage can-concrete52.jpg   pics of new concrete with lines from garbage can-concrete53.jpg  
Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

If the concrete is stamped, with a colored release agent (hence the powerwashing), it really should be sealed with a decorative conc. sealer to preserve the release as well as make the color more vivid.

The white spots really do appear to be bird poop.

Your contractor really should be the one answering all these questions for you. I for one would never walk away from a deco. concrete job without spending some time educating the customer.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #12

the white spots were not visible when spraying with water, even after scrubbing with a stiff brush, they were there when it dried. i just am confused why this area looks so much darker than the spa pad area for instance. maybe it has to do with it getting a lot less sunlight but im considering using some white vinegar to lighten it
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

The lack of sunlight will definately have a big effect on new concrete.

If the entire job looks good when wet, it should look good when sealed. Water saturation is the closest resembelance to finished, sealed surface.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #14

if i did that wouldnt i have to wait until the concrete color is a totally uniform color? there are areas now that are turning much lighter and after it gets wet, these lighter spots are still much lighter than everything else
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Concrete & Masonry

It's kind of hard to help troubleshoot the inconsistency in color over the internet.

No matter what, I wouldn't seal the concrete until the concrete is at least 45 days old at this tie of year AND you have discussed this with the contractor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement