Pergola Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Pergola Help

I have an already built patio area located approximately 50 ft form my house. It is rectangular in shape, is 6" rebarred concrete, and is covered with slate tile. I intend to put a pergola covering the entire 20 x 10' area.

All of the plans I see on the internet call for sinking and cementing the corner post 2-4 ft in the ground. Since I already have the foundation, my plans were to secure the posts 6x6 or 8x8 cedar to the foundation. My "roofline" will be ten feet. I am worried that this may not be a secure method for attaching the posts. Any other ideas out there or is this the preferred method?

I also know that I will rub 2-2x10/12 rafters across to join the long ends and then run same at 90 degrees. how do I connect these joists?
Attached Thumbnails
Pergola Help-drawing1.jpg  
bohaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Hi your information is a little confusing so i'll try to figure out what you are requesting.

Firstly, it appears that your structure is not braced or connected to any structure?

If it is a free standing structure, you will need to brace it, preferably between the posts and you can use gallow type bracing on a 45 deg angle.

Connection of your posts is critical and if you are not burying the posts into the ground, then you may want to purchase or have some post stirrups made (Galvanised or stainless) that connect to concrete by way of epoxy and bolts and then are bolted to your timber post. These come in varying sizes.

To connect your rafters to you posts etc, suggest using stainless bolts. For a better look you can recess the bolt heads and nuts into the timber so they are sitting proud of the pergola structure.
davethebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement