Patio Poured Up To The T111 Siding And ROT! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patio Poured up to the T111 Siding and ROT!

Hi All,

HELP PLEASE!

My home has a back patio that was poured level to the top of the foundation. I understand the best solution is to replace the entire patio, but there are some other issues raised by this so I am trying a work-around.

As you can see in the photo, the patio was poured right up to the T-111 siding, and it is showing rot. Lame contractor and previous homeowner (they do this to me all over the home)!

All siding and the patio door are going to be replaced. I am going to attempt to slide some flat steel flashing between the patio and foundation (behind the siding), using some of that tar type sealant.

Should I also consider a second layer of flashing to direct water off of the siding and drop it a couple inches into the patio?

I will also add a door pan under the new slider.

Please see the attached pdf for my proposed solution.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Poured up to the T111 Siding and ROT!-patio1.jpg   Patio Poured up to the T111 Siding and ROT!-patio2.jpg   Patio Poured up to the T111 Siding and ROT!-patio-replacement2.jpg  
babato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 480

Welcome to the forum babato.

If by steel flashing you mean “stainless steel” then I’m good with that.

Your angled flashing I’d have bent at about 100 deg. With a hem so it lays flat and tight on the slab.

I’d also run a thick bead of polyurethane caulking on that edge of the slab and seat the flashing into it and make sure the weather barrier for the siding is over the top of the flashing.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (08-14-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the info. I had not thought of the hem. That is an excellent addition!
babato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

If your residing with the T-111, leave it off the ground an inch or two. This isn't the best way of keeping moisture away from the wood. I'd think of using a non wood product.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

The flashing is not going to cure the problem and it's not going to go away. You need to hire a foundation guy to come in a cut the patio slab back at a 45 degree angle away from the house. If the slab is against the home foundation, he'll need to cut the patio slab back about an inch, install an expansion joint and then all you'll have to deal with is splashing rain water. Depending on your area, this is not an expensive fix. Around here, about $150.00 for the slab guy.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement