Patio Column Makeover - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By bmschoen12

Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

Patio Column Makeover

I am doing a makeover of my patio columns. This one is right by a metal gate that I plan to change out later. The 2x4 supports of the column are all in good condition. I don't see any termite or dry rot.
But when I took the face off (face is not in a good condition, all cracked, old wood and it has been eaten by termites) I see the black paper underneath.

This is what I planned to do. I plan to remove the face and wrap all the 2x4 (sides only not the top, top is supporting a beam and has two small 2x4 filling gaps) with tyvek paper.
Then I plan to use a plywood to put over the tyvek. Then I will use pine boards to create a trim over the plywood and prime and paint it real well.

Is it OK to install the pine board over the plywood?
Do I really need to wrap the 2x4 with paper or tyvek?

I appreciate all feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Column Makeover-pic0011.jpg   Patio Column Makeover-pic0021.jpg   Patio Column Makeover-pic0051.jpg   Patio Column Makeover-pic0081.jpg   Patio Column Makeover-pic0071.jpg  

Al11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #2

Question

Re: Patio Column Makeover

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 88

Porch posts built with facings in my opinion, fare better if the air inside the post and the ambient air can be equal. If they are not getting water penetration damage, then I think many porch posts/facings rot prematurely from the lack of ventilation. So if they were mine, I would not trap the ability for the wood to "breathe" ....by using Tyvek. And be extra sure that no water can get inside the posts/facings. JMO though
Al11 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
I would not trap the ability for the wood to "breathe"
That is so true not only for those columns but for so many other things such as concrete block walls, patios, chimneys & more.
Al11 likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Good project!
Al11 likes this.
bmschoen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 AM   #6

Thank you so much for all the replies. Very helpful. I now understand that it is better to let it breath.
I have another question. There is a fence beside it that is made out of t1-11 siding. Some of the framing studs have been eaten away by termites and dry rot too. I plan to change that as well and instead use hardieplank cement siding.

Do you recommend that I put Tyvek all over and around the new framing and plywood before installing the Hardie planks over it? Or is it also supposed to be able to breath? The fence is not under any roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beam , column , pine , plywood wall , tyvek