Pass Through From Kitchen To Sunken Living Room Heigh - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By Koa

Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Pass through from kitchen to sunken living room heigh

Hi,

We'd like to open up a pass through window between the kitchen and living room to make the space feel more open and so we can have a line of sight to watch the kids when we are in the kitchen and they are in the living room. We were hoping we could use the space as a breakfast bar, but that is not a requirement. Anyway, the issue is that the living room is a sunken living room... about a foot or so down from the kitchen (1 stair step goes in between --i.e., not a direct step down, but you step onto one step and then into the living room). So, my question is, where do we place the pass through so it won't look weird. I don't want it to be too low in the kitchen or too high in the living room. Not sure if it is important, but the wall is load bearing. Also, how hard is it to undo the pass through if we end up hating it?

Thanks for your help!
melmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,130

Re: Pass through from kitchen to sunken living room heigh

Being a load bearing wall you will need to install a header similar to what you would use over a door or window. There may be wires passing through that area so you will need to deal with them. Some questions:
1. Are the ceilings the same height in the kitchen as in the living room?
2. How wide do you want this to be?
3. Anything in the way or is this just a wall between the two rooms?

As for height and using this as a breakfast bar that will probably only work from one side. My thoughts are, more likely someone would sit in the kitchen and look into the living room than the other way around. Thus consider the height to be a comfortable sitting height from the kitchen side.

Bud
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

Had a similar situation in a home I lived in.
Centre supporting wall carried the load, but wanted an opening for light and vision.
Built three frames and cased them as three separate openings instead of a full width one.
No headers required since the original framing stayed intact.
Since they were only 14 1/2 inch spaces, it would not work to pass items through, but sure worked for the inclusion of light.

I should've kept some pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Thanks, Bud. To answer your questions:

1. Are the ceilings the same height in the kitchen as in the living room? I think so. We're in the process of buying the house, so I have to admit I didn't really look, but I will do so next time I'm in there.
2. How wide do you want this to be? I am flexible. I would guess at least space for 2 people, but ideally 4. Was thinking 2 on each side would be ok, but hearing your point that it might be only usable on one side, maybe then make it wider? Not tied to it, though. I just don't want it to look weird once we've done it. We're putting up a wall to close off the dining space and make it into a bedroom, so I was looking for a way to add some dining space to the kitchen as well as open back up the feeling of the living room. But, if it's easier to just make the window and not have it be an eating area, we could be ok with that.

3. Anything in the way or is this just a wall between the two rooms? What might be in the way? Just the load bearing stuff within the wall and the electrical, as you mention.

Pardon my naivete. This is why I'm coming to the forum for advice
Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

When you are looking at new homes to purchase it is hard to see all of the details through the stars. You sound lucky to have picked up some details at least. The rest will come in the weeks and months after you move in. BTW, we were all beginners at some point. Unfortunately, they didn't have places like this 50 years ago. As you hang around you will get to know who is who and what their expertise is.

Get back to us with pictures after you move in but initially I don't see an issue with some sort of visual/functional pass through.

Bud
BTW, welcome to the forum
Old 05-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do have some photos. Note, we will be adding a wall to turn the dining room into a bedroom, which is why I worry the living room will be too closed off without a pass through.
Attached Thumbnails
Pass through from kitchen to sunken living room heigh-floorplan.jpg   Pass through from kitchen to sunken living room heigh-kitchen-wall.jpg   Pass through from kitchen to sunken living room heigh-living-room-wall.jpg  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

Is the wall in question the one between the kitchen table and the couch?

If so, where would the refrigerator go. Maybe I'm lost (again)

Bud
Old 05-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #8
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 976

You won't really be able to tell what is inside the wall until you take possession and have a chance to poke around. It could be electrical, plumbing, HVAC or any combination thereof. If it is the wall with the couch, I see a thermostat.

I'm not a builder or engineer, but it would seem that the wider you go the more you have to be concerned with how the load is transferred to the floor/foundation. I would think that an opening the size of a window or door wouldn't be a huge issue (properly framed) but once you get into multiple feet wide it becomes more of an issue.

I agree that if it is to be 'breakfast bar' height it should be that from the kitchen, but I'm betting you will find you will never use it as such.

Nice looking place BTW.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #9
Koa

Rewards Points: 174

Normal height of a table is 30", of a kitchen counter is 36" and of a bar is about 42". Looks like about a 12" drop into your living room so you would probably need a table height (30") in the kitchen to work with a bar height in the living room if you want your pass through to function for seating on both sides. If you decided to do kitchen cabinets @ 36" height on that wall it could still function as a pass through for adult size people but a little high for small kids to reach things easily without a step stool. Either way I think it would look fine but the two heights would function differently. Assuming you open the wall, I would frame it to accomadate both heights. Frame for a 30" table height and add a filler if you decide on 36" kitchen cabinets on that wall.

If you open that wall up, I'd go as big an opening as possible. Everyone gathers around the cook. So easy interaction between kitchen and living room is a good thing.
jlhaslip likes this.

Last edited by Koa; 05-26-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #10

Wow. I am so glad I found this forum. You all are so helpful. Thanks for the kind words about the house. First time homeowners, so that is exciting to hear. Yes, we would like to put the pass through in the wall with the sofa currently against it and the thermostat on it. We don't plan on moving the fridge. Hoping it doesn't end up looking weird or being very complicated once we're inside the wall! Thanks, again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kitchen , load bearing wall , pass through , sunken living room