Partial Block Foundaion - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Partial block foundaion

I have just purchased a farmhouse in PEI, It has 3 courses of blocks sitting on dirt foundation as far as I can tell. Previous owner had started digging out the basment for hot water tank and storage, this stops about 2 feet from the blocks. So there is a wall of dirt about 4 feet high and 2 feet thick out to where the blocks are. I want to dig closer to the blocks and then either pour a wall or use 4" blocks to build a wall inside the existing block wall and up to the block wall that is already there, and then seal it somehow and then put a concrete floor in. Does this sound feasible?
Ontca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontca View Post
Does this sound feasible?
Not without one hell of a lot of work, planning, and experienced people to tell you how (or you help them) to jack the place up securely, then build your walls, etc. Digging near a foundation, whatever the material, can be very dangerous to people and building. You better not, IMO, try to figger this out over the Net. If you don't want to go to all that effort, and I suspect it will be a lot, can you get by w/ pouring concrete reinforced walls (engineer designed) well inside the "foundation dirt" and putting everything in that room? (ie, a smaller room below grade). Good luck; you've just tackled a big job!

Last edited by jklingel; 11-25-2010 at 11:48 PM.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
Ontca (11-26-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontca View Post
I want to dig closer to the blocks and then either pour a wall or use 4" blocks to build a wall inside the existing block wall and up to the block wall that is already there, and then seal it somehow and then put a concrete floor in. Does this sound feasible?

Absolutely not
The Following User Says Thank You to Brickie For This Useful Post:
Ontca (11-26-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, I know I have a project ahead, wish the money was there but will go slow and safe for sure
Ontca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement