Part Of House Built Directly On Ground. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 212

Part of house built directly on ground.

Hello,

I recently found out that part of my house (the front entry), is not actually over the basement, but just kind of hanging there.

It's sagging badly and was originally built sitting on some concrete blocks. So two sides are "on" the foundation walls, and two sides are held up by a concrete block sitting on the ground.

The block has been sinking and the joists running to it have been rotting, causing this entire corner of the house to sink and the front door doesn't really open/close well.

I jacked it up and added a spacer for now, but it's badly temporary. I'm comfortable replacing the joists; but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do for a footing and for dealing with the dirt.

My thought was I just dig a 4 foot hole to slide one of those cement tubes in and fill it. Then it wouldn't be rising/falling with seasons. But then what about it being built on dirt - do I pour a little section of cement (it's like 4' by 5'). Do I then air tight close it off, or let it breath? That room is always whatever temperature it is outside; which I'd love to fix...

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

George
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 400

Your solution depends on your location, soil type and weight that needs to be supported.
A concrete column my not be enough. You may also need a wide base to support the weight.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Could you post a picture?

You will get some good suggestions when the porch is seen by one or the members--
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 19,142

No one can see what your seeing without some pictures.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Shuswap Life - Project Showcase - Page 47 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Cocobolo has been adding footings and foundations in a poorly built house in this thread---look back a page or three and you will get a few ideas.
coderguy (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No one can see what your seeing without some pictures.
I must be a nobody, because I don't need to see pictures.....

(I was already there in person years ago..........)

George, you're on the right path I believe. Your soil should be plenty firm enough to support the front entry way, especially since each post is only going to be supporting 1/4 of the weight at most. 48" is plenty deep as well, seeing as it's a Southern exposure. You might be amazed at what 2 bottle jacks, a little bit of enginuity, and a few beers can do to get the porch temporarily supported.........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
coderguy (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I must be a nobody, because I don't need to see pictures.....

(I was already there in person years ago..........)

George, you're on the right path I believe. Your soil should be plenty firm enough to support the front entry way, especially since each post is only going to be supporting 1/4 of the weight at most. 48" is plenty deep as well, seeing as it's a Southern exposure. You might be amazed at what 2 bottle jacks, a little bit of enginuity, and a few beers can do to get the porch temporarily supported.........
I'm so glad you are still around!

It's right next to a sidewalk, so digging will be a problem; but I'll do it. Once it is held up, what can I do about creating a crawl space? Sealed or vented? Do I pour a concrete floor for it? I'll do whatever will help most with cold/moisiture.

Thanks!

George

p.s. I'll try to get pictures up.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I'm so glad you are still around!

It's right next to a sidewalk, so digging will be a problem; but I'll do it. Once it is held up, what can I do about creating a crawl space? Sealed or vented? Do I pour a concrete floor for it? I'll do whatever will help most with cold/moisiture.

Thanks!

George

p.s. I'll try to get pictures up.
I may have misunderstood what you're trying to do, I thought you just wanted to install 2 piers (sonotubes) in the ground to support the corners.

If you want a crawlspace, that's certainly a lot more work. I'd honestly consider tearing the walls out and just trying to temporarily support the roof if you really want a crawlspace.

Personally, with living space above, I think that a conditioned crawlspace with a concrete floor over a vapor barrier is best.

Hope all is well,

Joe.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,370

Sounds like it started out being a deck/porch then later on enclosed.

If you are planing to replace floor joist, that would be a better time to dig footers.

Anyway, it would be in your best interest to post some pictures rather then have us guess...
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
Work Hard, Play Harder

Ok. Pictures.

Here is from the outside. I built that cover to last a year or so until I could figure out what to do. The old cover was very thin and kind of gave way...

From here you can see the huge block that was being used to hold up the corner. I added a new wood piece (and more behind it you can't see) to better hold it up for a year or so.

Here is the full 'mess'. It's matching joists to the house back there; so it's not a newer piece that got enclosed.

1. Clean it all out.
2. Dig 4' down and diameter to fit tube.
3. Pour cement, with some type (?) of bracket to attach wood to.
4. Repair joists, with new support post in place. Size of post?
5. Dig out a few inches, foam, plastic, cement.
6. Seal in or vent? What to cover joists with? (1/2 ply?, nothing?)

The porch is falling apart as well.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #11
Work Hard, Play Harder

Bump for posting pictures as requested and no responses?
Old 06-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I may have misunderstood what you're trying to do, I thought you just wanted to install 2 piers (sonotubes) in the ground to support the corners.

If you want a crawlspace, that's certainly a lot more work. I'd honestly consider tearing the walls out and just trying to temporarily support the roof if you really want a crawlspace.

Personally, with living space above, I think that a conditioned crawlspace with a concrete floor over a vapor barrier is best.

Hope all is well,

Joe.
I added some pictures, if there is something else I can add let me know as I'm pretty lost on this.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,982

Is it just the front entry....or does it have a second story over it?? I am in an area where there are hundreds of beach houses built on stacked cinder block pillars, no concrete found anywhere, and these have hung around for wards of forty years at this point. Thought being have someone look at it before you go overboard with a fix. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

One of the cement guys will check in----we have several--but they work-(I was going to say"Drink") --be patient----(Quoting them will send them a PM allert---so you did well)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #15
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Is it just the front entry....or does it have a second story over it?? I am in an area where there are hundreds of beach houses built on stacked cinder block pillars, no concrete found anywhere, and these have hung around for wards of forty years at this point. Thought being have someone look at it before you go overboard with a fix. Ron
It has a room over it. I asked some people in the neighborhood and they don't remember a time when it wasn't that way. I'm guessing when the new porch was done, some kind of support/wall that used to be there was removed. There is a lot of broken cement/bricks under there.

The advice is to hire someone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement