Overhead Door Brand Or Anmark Garage Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

Overhead door brand or anmark garage door

Well it's time for a new garage door. I have had multiple companies come out and give quotes. The two major doors being offered are overhead door brand and ankmar. They both run about the same or pretty close and I have done searches online for reviews on both brands with little luck so I am coming to you for advice.. Both are fairly similar in r-value and steel thickness. My big problem is moving parts and hinges. The overhead door basically has fancy sounding plastic hinges called triathlon polymer and polymer rollers but I don't think they have ball bearings. They state that since no metal on metal parts they are quieter. To me though plastic is plastic. I also got a quote on there opener which is in house made and is a dc motor and not AC so don't know much about them. The ankmar is an r-value of 8, nylon rollers that have ball bearings in them. The opener two of the companies have offered are liftmaster lifts. One offered the chain drive and one the belt drive. Don't know much about the diff between the two options. All i know or have been told is the belt is quieter. In this instance noise isn't really an issue as there is no room over the garage. Is there some other reason belt is better then chain other then the noise? All in all The ankmar seems like the better door but as I said I am looking for opinions of anyone that has experience with any of these doors.
warrior58d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #2

Okay just got another bid with clopay doors! Thoughts, opinions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 125

As ever, free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it but........... if I was looking to get new garage doors I would try and find a Raynor dealer in your area. They are better made, smoother operating and last longer. Clopay is just garbage.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #4

Could you tell me why clopay is garbage?? Materials? construction?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 125

Thinner gauge steel in tracks and door panels, smaller/lighter hardware, etc., they seem to do the bare minimum to get a door into the opening. I have seen some where the stiles (the vertical members in the door panels that the hinges attach to) were glued in w/ something comparable to LiquidNails. Buffeting winds popped it apart.

Just my 2 yanno, I don't work for (or against) any of them, but it is one of those deals where the "cheap" one can be the most expensive a couple of years down the road when you factor in repairs and frustration.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

Okay thanks. Any experience with the othe doors? Lifts?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #7

Bump bump bump still looking for any other opinions
Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,516

I just put two Clopay doors in (steel panels both sides with injected foam in between) last summer; they seem fine to me. They don't feel/look cheap and they work well. Install not hard, first door took some time; second one was much faster.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement