OSB For Siding - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

OSB for siding

I have an older mobile and I had a utiliy room build on (frame, foam inslutation, and plumbing only). I do not want to spend alot of money but need to put some type of siding on it to proctect it during storms. I was just going to use standard OSB with a sealant. Will this work? I only need it to last for a year.
bmhughes2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

I would use a t-111 siding. Primed and top coated.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhughes2010 View Post
I have an older mobile and I had a utiliy room build on (frame, foam inslutation, and plumbing only). I do not want to spend alot of money but need to put some type of siding on it to proctect it during storms. I was just going to use standard OSB with a sealant. Will this work? I only need it to last for a year.
Well yeah, you can use it. It's not going to look the best, but considering it's an older mobile home, I assume appearance isn't your highest priority. By sealant, are you referring to paint or something like water sealer that you put on decks?

If it was my call, and I decided to install OSB, I'd do several things:
1. Make sure it's thick enough so that it doesn't bow & flex too much. You'll probably want at least 1/2".
2. Prime & paint that those suckers - especially the edges. Do a thorough job. Use good primer and good paint. You might be surprised how well it stands up.

Remember, moisture is your enemy - an is a BIG enemy of OSB.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

I hate OSB. It is so susceptible to water damage that just about any water causes problems.

While I wouldn't really suggest any type of wood product not specifically intended for the use generally, you might consider plywood. I have seen times where it is as cheap, or even cheaper than OSB and IMO, it is a much superior product.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

OSB is just fine for what you describe, that's what it's made for. Either paint it or wrap it with typar house wrap and it will definitely last for longer than a year.
bushmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

Wrong application of an inferior product. It may pull the studs outward as it swells though if drywall inside, may not. I applied some properly with 1/8" gaps all around on a new garage, within 3 weeks it pulled the studs and twisted trying to get loose from the framing while I framed the house. It does not handle moisture well. Plywood does. The wood chips in layers are it's inherent downfall if ANY moisture gets in. House wrap will have fastener holes that let moisture in or even liquid water. http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d%20in%20walls

http://www.eima.com/pdfs/The%20Perfe...r%20Stucco.pdf

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...GKM_FjuKp8QM-g

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
nap (11-23-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement