Opinions Needed, Roof Repair - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By firehawkmph
  • 1 Post By Mingledtrash

Old 07-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

opinions needed, roof repair

Would like to get opinions on best way to repair roof framing issue. Had new addition built onto existing split level home. Valley "dead ends" into existing short side wall, making a perfect spot for ice dams to form in winter from melting snow. Would like to change location of where valley ends by reframing and raising up existing roof (see photos). Also what type of valley would be best for this? Located in Syracuse, NY with lots of snow.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
opinions needed, roof repair-roof-cricket-plan-.jpg   opinions needed, roof repair-roof-valley-incorrect1.jpg  
mehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,514

Re: opinions needed, roof repair

Who provided the prints for the job, and did they show an over head roof plan? Obviously this is trouble for your type of winters. I don't know if there is an easy fix just by looking at these pics, this never should have been approved the way it is. That valley needs to be reconfigured to shift it out past the wall. Don't know if you could repitch the lower half of the left section of the roof to divert the valley. It would end up with a jog in it if you follow what I'm saying. Any other pics from just a little further back?
Mike Hawkins
kwikfishron likes this.
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

Architect provided plans but contractor didn't follow 100%.
Attached Thumbnails
opinions needed, roof repair-roof-back-view1.jpg   opinions needed, roof repair-roof-back-view.jpg   opinions needed, roof repair-roof-plan.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to mehawk For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (07-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,514

I don't think the architect is correct on his roof plan. With both roofs being the same pitch(4/12), and the new addition being what looks to be 4' wider than the existing house, the valley ended up where it is. If the new section was the same width as the existing house, the trusses would be the same size and in plane with each other and the valley would have ended up in the corner as shown. As it is I'm guessing the new ridge ended up about 8" higher where it intersects with the old ridge. I would go back to the architect and have him come up with a fix for the valley and at his cost for the repair. This is a mistake he should not have made. That's what he gets paid for.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
mehawk (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

Architect says roof wasn't framed as shown on prints and contractor should have stopped framing and asked for clarification when it was apparent that valley wasn't going to come out as shown on print. She also stated that roof should have never leaked if it was installed properly.
I only want roof repaired/modified to prevent any future problems. Just looking for opinions on best way to reframe and what type of valley would be best.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 58

You already drew what the valley should look like.

You could make what you have now stop leaking with some custom flashing details.

I’d remove the siding and a couple of feet of roofing back from the wall. I’d run ice and water shield on the roof deck and up the wall (same piece) at least a foot or more (a little higher than however deep the snow may get there). I’d then bend custom roof to wall and step flashing that would run up the wall that same height and then more ice and water over the flashing.

The vinyl siding is not your friend in this situation as water can easily get behind it.

Tyvec, vinyl siding and traditional flashing details will never work in the situation that you have there.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
mehawk (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 76

That roof can be re pitched on that one side to end up a bet past the corner. Ideally, you would leave a little room for ice/water to pass through. I know our roofer likes to have a foot wide there.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
mehawk (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,036

The easiest fix would be to install, what I was taught was called, a "cricket" I dont know if it will work or is legal in your area but here are a few pics.

They are very common a good framer or carpenter would have recognized the situation and installed the cricket even if the plan did not show it. A lot of care and attention to detail is needed by the roofers to make sure you dont get leaks in a cricket area.
mehawk likes this.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mingledtrash For This Useful Post:
mehawk (07-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement