One Way Screws - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 364
Question

One way screws

I have a set of one way screws on an old dead bolt. I am replacing the door but want to reuse this deadbolt. What is the best way to deal with the one way screws cut them off and put regular screws on or try to find some sort of one way screw remover and if so where do you find one?
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
(the original)

Rewards Points: 756

True Value Hardware use to have the removal tools, don't know if they still do. They're expensive, though, and not worth it if you're only going to use it once or very rarely. If the heads are exposed you might be able to loosen them with vice grips. Otherwise, drill the screw and use a screw extractor, then replace the screws.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Most of the time you can get em out with a screwdriver. Just have to use a small flathead and put lots of pressure on it while unscrewing it.... If that don't work, take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut a small slot in the head for your screwdriver .
lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 404

Google 'security screws' and you should find all kinds of drivers for them.
I would probably just cut them and use regular screws. One of those stripped screw removal tools would probably work.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

One way screws are common in many types of locks for security reasons, locksmiths see them all the time. The most common application is on double-cylinder deadbolts where a key is required to lock or unlock the lock from either side of the door. The idea is that someone can't break a nearby window and reach around to turn the thumbturn to unlock the lock. This is also why one-way screws are used- so a burglar can't simply break that window and unscrew the deadbolt.

Like the previous poster said though, they aren't too hard to remove typically. I usually use a narrow flat head screwdriver with a hammer, and angle the screw driver so that one corner of it is contacting the screw near the edge. In this way you dig into the screw to work it around. Rather than using the screw driver to rotate the screw traditionally, you are using it to punch the screw and work it counter-clockwise to remove it.

I would suggest using the same screws to put it back together for added security, but standard screws can also be used. Good luck!

-Fort Collins Locksmith
fortcollinslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement