Old House/New Construction Noises - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
Mr. Handy

Rewards Points: 16
Question

Old House/New Construction Noises

Last summer, we added a wraparound porch to our 100 year old house. Recently it has been very cold here (-20 degrees). The first night the temperature reached this low, all night we heard very loud popping/slapping noises. We still hear an occasional thud but not like that first real cold night. I don't want to call them cracks but it was so loud you could hear it from anywhere in the house. I spoke with the contractor and he was puzzled. The house is built very well and we feel the porch is as well. Are we dealing with typical house or new construction movement and stresses? Any ideas? Living in a warmenr climate sounds like a good idea.
swiederin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

If you've lived in the house for a few winters and this is the first time you've heard the noise. I would think it was the new construction of the porch. Was the structural part of the porch framed with green or pressure treated lumber?
I would go under the porch to check out the support joists and ledger just for piece of mind.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement