NYC - Minor Change Not In Plans And Attic Fan - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Msradell

Old 06-29-2018, 01:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

NYC - Minor change not in Plans and Attic Fan

Hello,

I have 3 questions and seek advise.

NYC - Bedroom with attach bathroom -

I currently have approved plans for a shower addition to a half bath, permits were issued and the work was completed. Plumbing inspection was cleared. When installing the shower stall and wall. Their was a gap between the shower wall and bathroom wall. 10 inch gap. otherside of bathroom wall is a bedroom. The 10 inch gap looked ugly and was not usable space. The contractor gave an idea to make a niche in the bedroom. It was 24 inch wide and 10inch deep and 7 ft high with 4 shelf. So instead of an ugly useless 10inch gap, the space became usable from the bedroom side for storage.

Question is during the DOB final inspection would they make a big issue on it since it a very minor change instead of a flat wall; their a niche (a space that can be used). The architect is charging 2000 to amend the plans, which i find extremely high.

1. Do DOB make a big issues for these minor things?
2. f amending the plans for such minor work will it complicate things and make me have to go through the whole process again?
3. This is a separate question has nothing to do with this project but wanted to know for knowledge does a Solar Attic fan need a permit?

Thank you for your help
priya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,198

Re: NYC - Minor change not in Plans and Attic Fan

I would be very surprized if the inspectors said anything about the added shelf.
It as nothing to do with structure, electrical or plumbing.
Not sure about the fan. That might change from one location to another, might be a question for the permit dept.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Let the final inspection happen first. Then add whatever you want to close the gap. I've dealt with that before. Who drew the plans?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 552

Little repairs and some store work in manhattan and lead abatement in queens. Lead abatement needed certification and separate checks by department other than building. Other small works needed no paperwork, with illegal parking and all while off loading, etc. The store owners weren't worried at all about the cops enforcing building laws, etc. I work in NJ but I didn't think NYC was that tough. I think you should fire the architect, not worry about the nook and file the added fan. No inspector wanted to see changes not on the paper.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
No inspector wanted to see changes not on the paper.
My point exactly.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 982

The architect wants $2000 for that? You need to tell him to go take a hike! That's the most absurd cost I have ever heard for an architect to do something that small. Building it won't cost that much and normally architects get somewhere around 10% of the cost of the project.
Guap0_ likes this.
Advertisement