Non-Kitchen Quartz Countertop Installation Ideas - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Non-Kitchen Quartz Countertop Installation Ideas

Newbie here. I have a question for some experienced DIY'ers.

I am putting together a game room countertop. It will be in the middle of the room so no wall studs to tie into. The quartz countertop will be 9.5 feet long and 25.5 inches deep at 3cm thickness. On either end of the countertop I would like to use two wall cabinets facing to the outside meaning the doors will open to the outside for a little bit of storage.....they are 24" wide (which will cover the depth of the countertop leaving a little overhang) and 12" deep and 30" tall. Because I want the countertop to be at stool height around 34" and I want it to be supported across the middle here is my plan:

I will run a pair of 2 x 4's spanning the distance between cabinets (7.5 feet once you subtract the 12" cabinets on each end). One will be in the rear of the counter and one will be closer to the front probably 12" from the front. The countertop will weigh about 300 pounds. I will secure the cabinets to the floor of course.

Do you all think that the 2 x 4's will provide enough support for the countertop? If not, should I use 2 x 6's or do you think I have to build a small wall spanning the space between the cabinets and use some invisible supports that go both directions (front to back). The 2 x 4's would be the easiest solution. I know that there might be questions about why I am using the cabinets but basically I have some limits...they provide storage, are stained and finished to match the rest of the wood in the room already, and they are free since I already have them (repurposing them for this use). Focus on the question of 2 x 4 strength if possible.

Thanks for the advice.
icetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Non-Kitchen Quartz Countertop Installation Ideas

FYI, stools can be found to fit 3 different counter heights. Usually the legs are designed to be cut at the correct heights for the following measurements:

Bar height - 42 inch
Kitchen counter height - 36 inch
Table height - 30 inch

Which height are you intending to use for your countertop? That will determine if the stools get cut and at what height.

Typically a stone-like top is made with a built up edging, so there is a hollow underneath the main span. It would be common to have that space filled with a Plywood piece when the countertop is clear spanning something like a dishwasher space or a desk top.
Using shaped metal pieces screwed to the Plywood will allow the stone to span, but I have never done a full 8 ft like you are thinking of doing. Furthermore, the steel shapes would need to be supported by the end cabinets in some manner.

A small 'C' channel might be suitable for that span. Possibly an epoxy glue to mount the C Channel?

Is there a local Stone outfit that you could talk to? Possibly they have done this elsewhere.

I would not be trusting 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 in this situation. At least not on the flat.

Last edited by jlhaslip; 11-26-2017 at 12:43 AM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 05:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,952

At the least, I would think the beams should be 9.5' long, not 7.5' long. that would make structure stiffer.

I would still be concerned with the stiffness of the supports. 2x6's would be better, or steel, as suggested previously.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,078

I would talk to the counter top supplier and ask their recommendations.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,238

Go to Metal Supermarket and grab 3 pieces of 2" square hot rolled tube with a 1/8" wall.
As mentioned above, approx 9-1/2' long.
Notch out the cabinets for the tubes to drop into.
Put a 3-1/2" edge onto the counter top and the tubes will be hidden. 3/4 quartz, 3/4 plywood, plus the 2" tube = 3-1/2"
34" is an odd hgt. Check you stools to confirm.
Advertisement

Tags
countertop , gameroom , quartz , supports